What's new

Ongoing: Ron's Blu-Ray Discoveries Thread (renamed) (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Today, I watched His Girl Friday on Blu-ray. It was like watching this excellent film for the very first time. It looked magnificent!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Friday, January 13, 2017

48600_front.jpg

It's not often I pay release day price for a Criterion release -- especially a blind one. I did so based on the high recommendations from members of this forum.

I can't say that I loved His Girl Friday. What I can say is that I highly admired it. I realize this was originally a play, but for me, that was a bit of the downfall of this film for me. It played liked a play onscreen. That being said, I thought the rapid-fire dialogue between Grant, Russell and the press pool were often amazing to watch. It's just one of those films I don't think I will ever watch again.

The Blu-ray transfer is very good. Most all the debris have been cleaned from the print. There was some brief, light side lines in the right side of the picture. Not distracting.​

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That's what I get for recommending a comedy. I won't do that again! Also, I shouldn't expect a person of today to watch a 77 year old film and think they would have the same affinity for it that I do, when I first viewed this film as a kid.

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Based on a play, yes, but cleverly redesigned to make it a screwball comedy with a male-female face-off at the center of its storytelling. If the post office (which is holding my review copy hostage) will ever get it to me, I'll write up my thoughts on this masterful version of The Front Page.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
That's what I get for recommending a comedy. I won't do that again! Also, I shouldn't expect a person of today to watch a 77 year old film and think they would have the same affinity for it that I do, when I first viewed this film as a kid.

Nah, you shouldn't say that. Some films are bound to resonate with me better than others. Didn't hate the film, that's for sure.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Nah, you shouldn't say that. Some films are bound to resonate with me better than others. Didn't hate the film, that's for sure.
Film appreciation is subjective, but comedy genre is very subjective which is why I'm hesitant to recommending comedies. Every person's sense of humor is unique to them. What I might find very funny doesn't necessarily tickle another person's funny bone.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Ron, maybe you're already familiar with this film, but let me make a pitch for True Romance. It is not Citizen Kane by any means, but it is very entertaining with Christian Slater and Patricia Arquette in the leads and an outstanding supporting cast of Dennis Hopper, Brad Pitt, Christopher Walken, Samuel L. Jackson, Gary Oldman, James Gandolfini, Bronson Pinchot, Michael Rapaport, Chris Penn, Tom Sizemore, Saul Rubinek, and a basically voice over by Val Kilmer. I never tire of watching it.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Ron, maybe you're already familiar with this film, but let me make a pitch for True Romance. It is not Citizen Kane by any means, but it is very entertaining with Christian Slater and Patricia Arquette in the leads and an outstanding supporting cast of Dennis Hopper, Brad Pitt, Christopher Walken, Samuel L. Jackson, Gary Oldman, James Gandolfini, Bronson Pinchot, Michael Rapaport, Chris Penn, Tom Sizemore, Saul Rubinek, and a basically voice over by Val Kilmer. I never tire of watching it.

Oh My God! One of the best Tarantino written movies EVER. One of my all-time favorites with one of the BEST scenes EVER in a movie....

That would be the scene with Hopper and Walken. Truly one of the greatest scenes ever filmed.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Sunday, January 15, 2017

44308_front.jpg

There's something very odd about BATTLEGROUND. After seeing many war movies from this period, BATTLEGROUND seems to break the rules regarding how war is portrayed. There's no patriotic message here. None of the clichès

Most astonishing is to see song and dance man Van Johnson in a very different role, leading a weary platoon into the infamous Battle of the Bulge. A very gritty and authentic look at warfare -- so intensely realistic that you feel as if you are there. I can't help but think that this is one of the most important WW II films ever made. One of the best I have ever seen and that says much for a film that is nearly 70 years old.

The transfer is nothing short of what you would expect from Warner Bros. On the surface, this may not stand out as being a stellar transfer, as most of what is portrayed on screen is flanked in fog, However, given those circumstances, there is great detail amongst underlying grain. Film debris is non-existent.

In short, BATTLEGROUND is an essential blind purchase. That's fer sure. That's for dang sure.

Up Next: I have one more week of work off due to recovery. Friends have given me a bunch of DVDs that they insist I watch. These include A Slight Case of Murder and The Complete Thin Man series. All first-time viewings. I will give summaries over the next few days. Sorry, no Blu-ray. Not sure these are even on Blu-ray.​

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ron,

In regard to Battleground, the ending scene with what's left of their platoon marching down that road past replacement troops is one of hell of a scene. It kind of tears me up.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Robert,

I got a bit confused by that scene. If I am correct, they are marching back towards Bastogne.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The Thin Man films are personal favorites of mine especially the first three films. Also, enjoy A Slight Case of Murder.

Always heard great things about them. Finally going to watch after all these years. I take it you have seen A Slight Case of Murder? Good film?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Always heard great things about them. Finally going to watch after all these years. I take it you have seen A Slight Case of Murder? Good film?
A Slight Case of Murder is a comedy spoof of Robinson's gangster films so I don't know how the humor will play with you.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
As to the first Thin Man film, the scene on Christmas morning always cracks me up. The look on Myrna Loy's face is classic after Powell does something I did when I was a kid. I try to watch that film every Christmas and did so again this past holiday.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
As to the first Thin Man film, the scene on Christmas morning always cracks me up. The look on Myrna Loy's face is classic after Powell does something I did when I was a kid. I try to watch that film every Christmas and did so again this past holiday.

I will get back to you on that. My watch for the next few days.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I will get back to you on that. My watch for the next few days.
The second film with a young Jimmy Stewart is very good. The butler scene in that film is very funny and has been copied many time over in more recent films. Also, really enjoy the third film with Dum Dum.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Many of us would like The Thin Man films (and the television series) to be released on blu-ray. For the record my current favourite is The Thin Man Goes Home.
TCM aired the series of films in December...I recorded them all and binge watched them all. Would love to see a blu ray set. Love them all, especially the first two and "....Goes Home"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks