What's new

Ongoing: Ron's Blu-Ray Discoveries Thread (renamed) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
sleroi said:
It seems im discovering a lot of these films, too, thanks to reccomendations here. I watched Hombre last week. While I was enjoying the great characters, edgy dialogue(for its time) and wonderful cinematography, it seemed to drag on a little long getting to the robbery. My wife stopped watching halfway. Yet I was stunned how much I enjoyed the movie once it was over. Watched it again a few days later and liked it even more. I plan to watch YCTIWY on Friday (along with the Spartacus restoration), and I guess im going to have to use the barnes and nobles gift cards I received to purchase Jubal. Enjoy the rest of your vacation!

I think you and I are on the same viewing schedule. I was going to keep this a surprise, but my next big watch is the restored version of Spartacus. Yet another film I have never seen.

It has been taking forever to watch this because of its 3-hour running time.

...and Bryan, I think you are going to love Jubal. An original recommendation from Crawdady, and he rarely disappoints.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Funny, I had just watched the BD of You Can't take it With You (for the first time) last week. Had no idea that it was in bad shape. How this one escaped me over the years I'll never know. Especially since I'm a sucker for "Capra-corn". But I'm glad I waited for this blu.

Ron, please tell me that you're kidding. You've never seen Spartacus before??? Not even the un-restored version? Boy, are you in for a treat! :)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Ronald Epstein said:
The biggest surprise was one of my all-time favorite character actors in his FIRST role -- Dub Taylor -- who went on to appearing in one of my favorite films, Bonnie & Clyde (now there is a film I should watch this week).

Also noticed the IRS agent, played by actor Charles Lane, who would go on to being a big character actor in many 60s sitcoms.

Ron:

I must've played some of the Dub Taylor scenes four or five times because it was aggravating me so much that I couldn't identify the actor--but he looks so young!! But the voice was unmistakeable! He was also prominently featured in the later seasons of Little House on the Prairie. He played the character of Houston who was the handyman at the School for the Blind.

Charles Lane also had roles in IAMMMMW and was the constable in The Music Man (always wanting to lock up Tommy Djilas and wary of Harold Hill).

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I still have a few DVDs that Sony sent me but I didn't get around to back when I was reviewing discs for this very site. . .Jubal is one of them. I'll have to dig it up.

Incidentally, just a couple of months ago, there was a new documentary on, IIRC, the History Channel, that revealed new information regarding the guys who may have escaped from Alcatraz (from relatives of theirs). I wasn't expecting much, but the evidence that they made it is very compelling.

Ron, mazel tov on the new theater! Enjoy it in good health. :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Wednesday, December 30th
91hIgGRUINL._SX522_.jpg
Well, I finally watched it. My first time ever seeing this film. Why did it take forever to do it? I am not particularly a fan of Gladiator movies, though that certainly changed with the Russell Crowe film.​
Really loved this film. It's as epic as everyone had promised it would be. I think things really hit home in the film's final 40 minutes right up to the final fade.​
Have not seen many Kirk Douglas films and really admire his acting chops. Charles Laughton....always a formidable presence. One of the true greats! Of course, Laurence Olivier -- perhaps one of the greatest actors of our time. Kind of thought Harold J. Stone was an interesting casting choice. I know him from Jerry Lewis films. The only real oddity here was Tony Curtis. Not quite sure what his character was all about -- especially when bathing Laurence Olivier.​
My favorite character? Who else, but Peter Ustinov. Very entertaining.​
Now, I went out of my way to scrutinize every frame of this film knowing that Robert Harris was responsible for its restoration. My findings? There isn't a single flaw to be found here. Absolutely no signs of scratches, abrasions or other age related elements. I was floored by how much detail could be found in the closeups of Kirk Douglas. I mean, this transfer looks beautiful. I would say it ranks as one of the best restorations I have ever seen. You're off the hook, Mr. Harris!​
Flaws in the film itself? Only the choice to go from these epic outdoor shots to a quite obvious closed indoor soundstage, dressed up to look like outdoors. Kind of took me out of the film from time to time. However, that's just my nitpicking.​

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Re: Spartacus, after watching the original Blu-ray for the past few years, from the first frame of the restored edition it was shocking. Shocking just how good this could look after the first attempt. It went from a smeared and blurry video image to practically being on set!

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Ron, I know what you mean about the obvious (to today's audiences) staged scenes, but that was of the time. Almost all films back then had some rear projection, or inserts that were shot in a studio. Even the great Alfred Hitchcock utilized this technique. And did you notice the scene of the slave "transport ship" which was actually a clip borrowed from The Vikings (1958)?

But Spartacus is redeemed by it's superb cast and screenplay. The Laughton and Ustinov scenes alone are worth the price of admission. And when Antoninus (Curtis) is the first one to stand and proclaim "I'm Spartacus", it always brings a tear to my eye.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Also, I also highly recommend that you purchase the Criterion Collection DVD of Spartacus for the 2 extremely informative, and entertaining running commentaries it contains.

And if you haven't already seen Trumbo in a theater yet, I recommend it as a blind buy as well.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
What, Ron? No accolades, no mention at all, no impression of the lovely and talented Jean Simmons? Her beauty, her voice...who cares about men in short skirts and sandals? I joke, of course. I've liked this movie since I first saw it during its 1960 roadshow run. I even prefer it to Ben-Hur, which I also saw during its 1959 roadshow run.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Reed Grele said:
Also, I also highly recommend that you purchase the Criterion Collection DVD of Spartacus for the 2 extremely informative, and entertaining running commentaries it contains.

And if you haven't already seen Trumbo in a theater yet, I recommend it as a blind buy as well.
Those are easily on my top ten commentary tracks ever! The Trumbo one in particular is amazing - it's pieced together from an epic length note he wrote to Kubrick and Douglas after seeing the rough cut of the film (and read by a narrator) and I've never heard such a passionate, detailed analysis from a writer on a film they worked on. He doesn't agree with all of the choices Kubrick and Douglas made filming it, and the areas of disagreement are even more fascinating to hear about than the stuff they did agree on.

In my opinion, it's a must listen not just for Spartacus fans but for anyone with a passion for how movies are made.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
"Death is the only freedom a slave knows. That's why we'll win"

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Reed Grele said:

Unfortunately, it never played in my town so I'll have to blind buy the Blu-ray release.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Monday, January 4th
81b-3aN3QhL._SX522_.jpg
It's shopping day at Costco. Once a month, I treat myself to a $20 Criterion title. Today, I am thumbing through the Criterion selections. Happen to come across this one. Never saw it, but quite intrigued by its Cold War spy storyline.​
I quickly grab my iPhone. I check out Matt Hough's review. Seems quite positive. Okay, I'll take a gamble and purchase it blindly....​
Quite pleased by the watch other that one doesn't quite know what the hell is going on until near the end of the film. However, that's the way it's set up to be.​
Great performance by Richard Burton. Great story told in chilling B&W. Fantastic transfer from the folks at Criterion.​
If you see this at your local Costco, grab it!​

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
January 17, 2016
71WOyVx+nSL._SL1068_.jpg
One of three titles I bought on a recent Kino sale.​
I was entertained. Plays like one of those badly acted films from the 70s/80s. Still, the story and its characters prevent this from being disappointing.​
Great supporting cast including Jack Warden and Slim Pickens. Warden is especially good here. Very surprised that John Carradine had an uncredited cameo. His name is not listed in the credits.​
I think it played better for its time. Still, I am happy that I had the opportunity to see this film.​
Blu-ray looks pretty good. Print is in good condition, though a bit faded. Lots of natural grain.​
More titles to come....​

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I'm glad you're continuing to do this as I always find your discoveries and opinions about them interesting and entertaining.

Greg Krewet

Premium
Supporter
Another vote for you continuing this highly enjoyable thread. Unwrapping my copy of The White Buffalo and preparing to watch it now. If you get a chance give us a heads up on some films you intend to watch as I am sure that many forum members are interested in the films that you are discovering for the first time..
Thanks
Greg

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
January 18, 2016
91vI-uZaU1L._SX522_.jpg
"I'm here, Shorty!"​
Here's a film practically about nothing. I suppose I am used to a particular formula when it comes to westerns. There's always seems to be a hero vs. bad guy. Monte Walsh is different. In fact, for the film's first hour, I simply sat back and enjoyed it's light-hearted mischievous antics. I was never particularly a fan of Lee Marvin or Jack Palance, but I couldn't help but find myself completely delighted with the interaction between their two characters. In fact, most of this film plays almost like a comedy. It's mostly spirited with a share of saloon fights and some of the finest bronco riding I have seen to date.​
While Monte Walsh becomes a bit more serious in its middle to end, it never loses its heart.​
The Blu-ray presentation is mostly good, though the print hasn't been cleaned up. There's lots of speckling throughout. However, there are equally many day scenes that are well defined. Thankfully, the print isn't faded and remains punchy throughout.​
Monte Walsh took me by total surprise. I didn't know what to expect from it, and thoroughly enjoyed what I got. There are so many emotions to be felt from this story....it's playful and humorous...cold and bittersweet.​
It has all the elements of a great western. In fact, it has become one of my all-time favorites. I can see myself watching this a few times more.​
This is one to pick up blindly.​

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks