What's new

Ong Bak - Thai warrior (1 Viewer)

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
OMG the trailer for this (available at Apple.com) looks amazing :eek:

Anybody see this yet? Or know of a good legal region-0 available I can buy before I watch the likely-to-be-edited American release?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I saw it at the Boston Fantastic Film Festival in October. Kicks ass.

Magnolia is planning a US release, but it seems to keep getting pushed back while they try to book theaters (they're a smaller-than-Lion's Gate distributor).

Tim Garvin

Auditioning
I too saw the trailer and had to have it.

Search for it at amazon, I purchased an all region DVD version there last week. I can report on the quality when it arrives, if you like.

Tim

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor
I saw this a couple of months ago on DVD and it's pretty damned impressive. In particular the scene where he fights 3 guys in a row in the bar (I remember thinking "you know, if the rest of the movie is just him fighting guys in the bar - that'll be great!"). Of course, the chase through the streets is wild. It's hard to believe some of the stuff they did was without some kind of "aid" or was done without massive injury.

I seem to remember the end petered out a bit, but it's still well worth it.

I might have to see this again in the theatre just to see it with a crowd...

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Amazon doesn't sell it directly, so I'm guessing you bought it used. As far as I know, there is no legal all-region version available, so I think you purchased a pirated copy.

Tim Garvin

Auditioning
Well, I recieved it this evening and watched it. It is a very good transfer. I do not believe it is a "pirated copy" It looks, and is packaged just like all my other dvds. It came wrapped, and had the protection sticker across the top. It is DVD-9, and plays in my region 1 dvd player. It has english subtitles for th emovie, but I cannot understand the menus. It has quite a few extras on it, such as showing the different martial arts moves.

I thought it was a fun movie. The guy can jump, and it has very good fight scenes.

Tim

Steve Felix

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve Felix
Tim, who produced your DVD? I can't find any reference to a DVD with English subtitles except in the Amazon marketplace. (And I notice they're selling quickly -- 10 available yesterday, 3 today. Are other HTFers going for it?)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have it on VCD; I really liked it. The story is pretty standard, and even a bit hokey, but the fight scenes are definitely awsome.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I saw the film a few months ago. While I do think the stuntwork is amazing, Thai filmmakers have a long way to go to catch up with Hong Kong. The story isn't quite there either. It is basically an excuse to string together the fight scenes. I also didn't like the "instant replay" thing. It focuses a little too much on the stunts.

I certianly think it is worth a rental, at least.

Jason

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

I'm not, but a movie's appeal for me is more than it having cool action scenes. While I enjoyed it on that level, I don't see myself watching it much.

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zoobird
Recent bookmarks