Ong Bak = Kick butt kung-fu!!

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Ross Williams, Jul 22, 2004.

1. Ross Williams

Ross Williams Supporting Actor

I watched the Japanese trailer for Ong Bak over at themoviebox.net and was absolutely blown away. This looks like it could be one of the best kung-fu films to come out it quite a while.

I then went to IMDb and just about everybody says the same thing. That the story and acting suck, but that the fight scenes are unbelievable.

I don't really care about the story for films like these. I just want to know when we can see it here in the states?!

2. Charles CB

Charles CB Agent

Actually, its not Kung Fu. Its Muay Thai (the national sport/martial art of Thailand which I also happen to train in). Well, its very stylized Muay Thai anyway. I have seen the movie myself and it has some of the best and brutal fight scenes. Plus the main actor does stuff in one sequence that would make Jackie Chan in his prime green with envy. Be sure to check it out if you get a chance to. They are actually working on the sequel to it right now. I also thought I heard something about Luc Besson obtaining the rights to distribute this film internationally.

3. Brian Thibodeau

Brian Thibodeau Supporting Actor

All things considered, the Region 3 PAL Thai DVD at $12 US shipped (!!!) is probably the best way to see this film before it gets released here, if it ever gets released here. As mentioned, the story is pretty light, the acting is probably better than you might expect (there are worse perfs in other Thai movies to be sure). The DVD has no subtitles, but is loaded with extras and is probably the best home version to date. There is a HK VCD with English subs, but obviously the picture quality is a bit substandard.

Here's the link to the disc at www.ethaicd.com

http://www.ethaicd.com/show.php?pid=9599

I haven't seen a lot of Thai cinema, but much of what I have seen suffers from campy acting and a distinct lack of Hollywood-style spit 'n shine. Ong Bak, in addition to a spate of recent efforts like 6IXTYNIN9, NANG NAK, BANGKOK DANGEROUS and LEGEND OF SURIYOTHAI, have marked the beginnings of a Thai cinema renaissance. Time will tell if it kicks in the way Korea's did, but things look good.