What's new

OneCall has some open box RP82's available (1 Viewer)

Chris Shelly

Second Unit
I just found me an RP82 at OneCall :) They have several open box/returns and damaged box models for sale. All have been verified to be in working order.
Folks this might be your last chance to secure a modern legend.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Looks like they are out of them.

I managed to get one thanks to this thread. $195 after shipping. I hope it's still in good shape. At least onecall'll pay for return shipping.

Thanks Chris.

Chris Shelly

Second Unit
Yes..it looks like they sold them all.

I believe they had about 10 to choose from.

I picked the brand new unit with a damaged/hole in the box. It is was brand new and free of damage.

My sister bought a DVD player for cheap and the box was thrashed. That was 2 years ago and it still works great. I have a Panasonic A112 that fell twice and it still works great. First time it fell off my old 46" Sony RPTV and fell on the carpet. About a 5 foot drop. It had no cosmetic damage and still worked great. Again a few months ago it fell about 3 feet when the cord got caught on something. Still works.

Depending on the nature of damage most likely the box took it all and the unit inside is untouched. It should be here tomorrow or Thursday. I can't wait!!!

I was lucky and got one of the open box units also, although it looks like Chris got the one I wanted (torn box, but not a returned unit). I specifically told them that I did NOT want the one that had small nicks on the top of the faceplate, so when it arrives, I guess I will see if they followed my orders or not.

Now then, can anyone tell the lucky ones what to look for, firmware levels, etc., and any tweaks or settings that are recommended for getting the optimum out of these units?

In addition, if anyone returned a unit to OneCall, how about sharing the reasons why, so we can check out the units and specifically to look to see if the issues had indeed been fixed.

Thanks!

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Crap!!!!!!!!!
I just got a call from OneCall. Looks like they had sold all the open box units in their retail store and just hadn't gotten them off the website. My order was cancelled as a result. No RP-82 for me.:angry:

Chris Shelly

Second Unit
I got an e-mail last night from OneCall that my unit has shipped. It is on the FedEx truck for delivery.

I hope I got the unit I wanted. When I called yesterday I specified R1678 and it was not sold yet. The person at OneCall said the 4 digit number was the last 4 digits of the serial number so it should be easy to tell. I ordered in the morning so I should have gotten first pickings anyway.

Sometimes you can get pretty good deals buying open box items. Most cases these things are returned because someone did not like the color or it was to expensive. Other times they can have real issues and you just bought them. I bought an open box Sony receiver several years ago and I got a good deal. However when I got it home it smelled like an ashtray. After further inspection I found what looked like cigarette ashes inside. The unit worked okay but when it heated up my room started smelling like cigarettes. I promptly returned the unit with out any problems. I think someone bought it and used it for a party and then returned it.

Since I thought I would never find an RP82 I bought a RP62 at Best Buy on Monday. It is a pretty good player but it might be going back. First thing I will do is compare the picture quality between the 2. I might keep the RP62 anyway just because it was such a good bargain at $129. Plus I have 2 older DVD players that are not so healthy any more.

After I get it hooked up I will compare the RP62 and RP82 and report my findings. I hope others who bought this unit has good luck with it.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
I picked up an open box CP-72 today at Circuit City. I am on the waiting list for the person who picked up some extra RP-82s to spread the wealth. If my name comes up, I'll be returning the CP-72 once I get the RP-82.

Chris Shelly

Second Unit
I got my RP82 just now from FedEx. The box was hardly damaged at all and the player inside is free of defects. All accessories and instructions are sealed in its original packaging including the batteries for the remote. :) . I only located a small fingerprint by the tray. Probably from when they bench tested it.
It is pretty cold from being shipped so I am going to let it warm up for a little bit. I will be hooking it up shortly.
If it works I would say I scored big time!!!
Chris

Congrats Chris! Keep us posted, and you got the one I wanted it seems. Hopefully I will have simply gotten a returned unit that is fully intact and healthy.

Mine will either be here today, or tomorrow. FedEx tracking says it made it to my City, but does not say if it is on the truck or not, so it is up in the air as to which day it arrives.

Forgot to ask you Chris, what date of manufacture is your RP82? Have you checked the firmware level yet?
Update on mine, it is now showing as being on the truck for delivery, so mine should get here today! :)

Chris Shelly

Second Unit
Hey Bob,

I checked the date of manufacture and it is September 2002. I think that is one of the latest ones. I have no idea what the firmware level is or even how to check it. I just now got it hooked up but I don't have time today to watch a movie. I should have time tomorrow to report my findings.

Yesterday I was able to watch Signs on my new RP62. It looked pretty good but I have a few scenes I can use to see if the RP82 is better.

News is coming in from CES about the 2003 Panasonic models. All models will include Progressive Scan. They are also priced even lower then the 2002 models. No word yet on chip sets. Taking a wild guess I doubt they could use the same chip set as the RP82 and still make money.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks