What's new

ONECALL/7300-7120 (1 Viewer)

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
I noticed a very alluring sale today on these two receivers. I have a HK7200 as a main unit. Any advantage to upgrade to one of these?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I currently own a 520 and would love to have a 7300 (or 7200 for that matter) but even the 635 is more receiver than I really need. The 7300 does offer a few more features like DCDI video processing but whether they are worth the extra money is for you to decide. Apparently it's not to me as I'm sticking with my old 520. I also like the unique looks of the Boston 7100-7120 and Sherwood-Newcaslte based performance, but there are threads around here questioning how much support Boston will give their discontinued line of avr's. So if your itching to get something new, I say go for the 7300! After all, it's your money, not mine!

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
I would stand pat. While the closeout pricing is very tempting...I think it makes more sense for someone needing a substantial upgrade. Unless you have to have the Faroujda scaling in-receiver there really is no reason to go for the 7300 over what you already have.

IMO the 7120 doesn't offer enough for the money and will not be supported by BA. Looks very nice though.

Again in IMHO the room EQ featured in the 435, 635 and now the new models is much more of an upgrade. The TI DA610 processor is very powerful and the results obtained in problem rooms are amazing to say the least. Better to stick with the 7200 and wait for the 745 to drop in pricing in a year or two. Then you will have truly upgraded in an important area (unless your room is already treated) and still will get the DCDi.

BrianTwig

Second Unit
Looks like some good deals going on at OneCall.

Being a newbie and still deciding on components and really not knowing what a lot of the terms mean and functions do help me out here for a minute.

I have been strongly leaning toward the Marantz SR 5600 for my receiver. But with the deals going on at OneCall, the Onkyo TXSR703B looks like it could be a contender.

It will be used 95% for music. NHT IW3 speakers, SVS PB12-NSD/2 sub.

Which way would you go? I know nothing about Onkyo, little about Marantz, but everyone has spoken very highly of Marantz that I have talked with.

Tom Donaghue

Stunt Coordinator
Not to single you out, Paul, but I'm curious as to why people are assuming that Boston Acoustics will no longer support their pre/pro, amp and receiver products. I realize that D&M Holdings purchased BA last summer after the release of these and as such, BA has discontinued the manufacturing of these, however I haven't seen any news release or information on BA's website (or elsewhere for that matter) stating that they would no longer provide any support for these products.

It unlikely that their will be any firrmware upgrades to their pre/pro and receivers, however I've had several mid-level receivers including Denon, Harman Kardon, Pioneer and Yamaha that never had any firmware or software related releases. It's rare that any mid-level receivers/pre-pros have firmware upgrades available, unless there's a severe bug or issue uncovered after the product went GA. Like any other reputable electronics manufacturer, I'm sure BA will continue to support any of these products from a warranty standpoint, as I'm sure D&M certainly wouldn't want any bad press related to this after the aquisition.

If anyone has seen any mention of this from D&M Holdings or BA directly, I'd really be interested to see it... -TD

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
Thanks all! Those sales look good but I would want a significant upgrade to my 7200 sound and feature wise. This is a good time for a person to buy a first receiver. Both of those look great!

CurtisC

Second Unit
Be happy with the 7200 for now,I owned a 7120,it had poor sound quality to my ears,it went back.The 7300 was $999.00 last weekend,w/$25 off card and 18 months no money finance.At that rate anyone wanting a decent avr could have scored a deal.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Hi Tom,

Heard this from the horse's mouth, so to speak, during numerous back and forths with BA people while I was contemplating these very purchases. Eric Pomerleau was my main contact but there were a few others. They are nice people to deal with but the jist of what is happening is this: BA will continue support for service issues only and has no plans to further support in terms of FW upgrades the three applicable units. They have no plans to continue with this move into these kinds of electronics. I believe the parent company sees no point in it.

As an aside I know for a fact that the Sherwood FW upgrades will apply to the BA units but the BA's shipped with the lastest pre-SNAP FW only package anyway. The new Sherwood FW which is installed with the SNAP EQ upgrade does not apply to the BAs. You have to ship those Sherwood units back to Sherwood as there is hardware upgrading as well for the SNAP. It needs a memory upgrade from 8K to 16K and this is done at the plant. Sherwood is not supporting the BA units in this regard.

Sorry.

Tom Donaghue

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the details info, Paul. This is not unlike what I'd already expected and likely the reason for the current pricing on these units.

It is a shame B&M Holdings won't continue to offer any future FW upgrades keeping in line with the Sherwood models, but I can understand from a business perspective the decisions they made on these. Thanks again, Paul... -TD

Users who are viewing this thread