What's new

One, Two, Three (1961) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
56976_front.jpg

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Is this a blind RCR?
Ron,

I try to stay away from recommending comedies because individual sense of humor is so very subjective. With that said, I do recommend Ride the High Country and even Spencer's Mountain which has some comedic moments, but is a good family drama.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I will steer towards Ride The High Country instead. Thanks, Robert.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Oh, yes, One, Two, Three is for me a very funny film...rife with social and political satire...and some conflicted and complex biting sarcasm (understandably so, for a film made by Refugees) for the emerging Democratic West Germany in the period leading up to the Berlin Wall Crisis...the story is propelled at a frenetic pace, symbolized by the opening music of Khatchaturian's "Sabre Dance"...I Love it!

An Ironic delight that Kino Lorber is releasing Night People just 2 weeks later, also shot in West Berlin...two Great films that are so steeped in the feel of divided Cold War Berlin...

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
"One, Two, Three" is fast, fast, fast and so funny. Holds up to repeat viewing just so you get all the jokes. A few references to Cagney's career which would be called easter eggs today. I disagree that this is a film mostly for Billy Wilder completists . Film holds up on its own and if you never heard of Billy Wilder or viewed any of his other films, you would want to check them out after seeing "One, Two Three".

Last edited:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Yeah, this one is probably more for Billy Wilder completists (which I happen to be).

Well, do you own or have you seen HIS GIRL FRIDAY? The rapid-fire dialog in ONE TWO THREE is quite similar, and it takes several viewings to catch all the dialog. It's a revelation for Cagney fans, who will not have seen him quite like this before. I find the film to be tricky and funny, but not perfect by any means. It's a satire, but also a bit anachronistic, as Russian-U.S. relations have evolved (and not well) since the film's release. But that it is dated doesn't mean it isn't clever and entertaining. I'd recommend it based on Cagney's performance alone.

Last edited:

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Well, do you own or have you seen HIS GIRL FRIDAY? The rapid-fire dialog in ONE TWO THREE is quite similar, and it takes several viewings to catch all the dialog. It's a revelation for Cagney fans, who will not have seen him quite like this before. I find the film to be tricky and funny, but not perfect by any means. It's a satire, but also a bit anachronistic, as Russian-U.S. relations have evolved (and not well) since the film's release. But that it is dated doesn't mean it isn't clever and entertaining. I'd recommend it based on Cagney's performance alone.
Yes I've seen His Girl Friday. I think you misread my post. I'm a big fan of Wilder and like One Two Three very much. But I was agreeing with Robert that it's not going to be for everyone's taste.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I don't really understand why this is for Billy Wilder completists. This is one of my all-time favorite Billy movies - it is a breathtaking farce that has so many laughs, despite the topical nature, and if it had NOTHING but James Cagney, who delivers one of his greatest performances, it would be a must buy. But it also has a bunch of other excellent farceurs. I recommend it highly, and hope the transfer is decent.

Frank M

Stunt Coordinator
ONE: The Apartment
TWO: Sunset Blvd.
THREE: One, Two, Three

Finally on Blu-ray, my third favorite Wilder movie.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I don't really understand why this is for Billy Wilder completists. This is one of my all-time favorite Billy movies - it is a breathtaking farce that has so many laughs, despite the topical nature, and if it had NOTHING but James Cagney, who delivers one of his greatest performances, it would be a must buy. But it also has a bunch of other excellent farceurs. I recommend it highly, and hope the transfer is decent.

Truly. I remember, quite literally, seeing this in its opening week, at age, um ..... what? It had such an impact.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks