One Tempest sonosub vs. two box Shivas

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shade Watson, May 8, 2001.

1. Shade Watson

Shade Watson Stunt Coordinator

What would give me better bass SPL and extension, one Tempest (or other quality 15") in a big corner loaded sonotube or two medium sized boxes each with a Shiva (or other quality 12") used as stands for my main speakers?
    OK, I know this question is vague, but this is my dilemma.
    Build the easier and cheaper big sonotube and stick it in the corner, or build two 24" tall box subs to act as stands for my nOrh 6.5s.
    Will I have to give up bass performance, if I build the two boxes given the size and placement limitations that using them as stands creates?
    I think I would rather build the two box subs because they would be more attractive, and I would have to build some decorative stands for the 6.5s anyway.
    If I go with the sonotube, I could fit something as big as Andrew Pratt's Sonosub2 in the corner of my living room. If I build the two boxes, they would have to be 24" tall finished. They could also be 24" wide and even more than 24" deep. I have a medium size living room in my house, with a cathedral ceiling and opening into my dining room and entryway.
    I don't have any experience in this area and I am looking for guidance and advice. Any help is appreciated.

2. DanWiggins

DanWiggins Second Unit

Shade,
    I'd recommend the twin Shivas. You actually have higher linear displacement (just over 3L with the pair of Shivas, just over 2.5L with the single Tempest), can build them as stands like you want, and can run a bit more power as well (twin 4 ohm loads).
    For the cabinets, I'd look for something in the 4 cubic foot range vented, 2.5-3 cubic foot sealed.
    Dan Wiggins
    Adire Audio

3. Shade Watson

Shade Watson Stunt Coordinator

Dan,
    Thanks for your reply. I've been looking at the designs in the Shiva Application notes. Which of these designs would you recommend? I will use them for 70/30% HT/Music.

4. Julian Data

Julian Data Second Unit

I would go with the "low Q" alignments. That's if you have the room and the SAF/WAF. [​IMG]
    ------------------