One tempest for IB?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Bob Bartlett, Nov 17, 2003.

1. Bob Bartlett

Bob Bartlett Stunt Coordinator

Is anyone running just one tempest for their IB. I know it is not ideal but I have one right know I can use. I currently have a 150 liter sealed enclosure, and wanted to know if the one tempest in an IB would be comparable? Do you only run one voice coil? I actually wanted to make something like this: http://users.rcn.com/mjrjunk/Sub1.jpg but only one side. Think that would work?

2. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

You probably should check out the IB photo gallery and FAQ pages at the IB 'Cult' Forum

BTW the picture you posted isn't a 'true' IB, it's just a small sealed box

3. Ronnie Ferrell

Ronnie Ferrell Second Unit

4. Bob Bartlett

Bob Bartlett Stunt Coordinator

Actually that is the manifold and it fires up into the room above. I looked at the cult and noone seemed to have one firing from the bottom of the manifold, they are all on the side. I really wanted to know if it would put out decent output and do you run one or both voice coils?

5. Mike{0}

Mike{0} Auditioning

That's exactly what it is, Ronnie (This is my IB - the crawlspace opens up to a 33x33x10 foot basement.. Over 10k cu. ft. Definitely qualifies as IB...) It's less than ideal for a number of reasons, but it was the best option for me given all my constraints. It does very well for me. I suppose even half of it would be fine for smaller rooms where you're not expecting tremendous output. I do think that it would be compable in output to your 150L sealed box. Basically an IB is just a really large sealed box. Put that tempest into your favorite box simulator and compare a 150L sealed box with a 10000L sealed box.

Good luck.

- Mike

6. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Pretty wierd, the opening on the left appears to have a 'top'. I can see no opening (unless this is the 'bandpass' IB that fires through the small heater vents).

Anyway.....

A single driver will be limited in it's output. There will be no difference using one VC or two because you'll hit the excursion limits of the suspension, before hitting the thermal limits of the VC's.

The Tempest when mounted in your box will play louder than if it's mounted in an IB. In an IB it will play lower.

I suggest making a manifold that allows for the addition of a second driver 'just in case'......

If you look in the gallery you'll see one single driver IB. He planned on adding a second driver I don't know if he ever did. Also I know Jack Gilvey is using a single driver in-wall IB.