One Sub or Two???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by PaulXH, Oct 8, 2002.

1. PaulXH

PaulXH Stunt Coordinator

I have a pretty big room (22X25). Would I be better off with (2)Paradigm PW2200's or (1) Paradigm Servo 15? And why. Thanks

Paul

2. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

Keep in mind that if you corner-load 2 subs together, you'll generally get around 6 dB mroe than with just one sub. So, I guess you'll have to ask yourself which is more cost effective in this case. Of course, the Servo15 will go a little lower, and that may be a factor to consider as well.

I don't know if you're considering other brands/aesthetics, but you would be well-advised to look into an SVS PC plus, or maybe a Hsu VTF-3.

3. Phil_DC

Phil_DC Stunt Coordinator

The more the merrier!

With a room that size two would be just fine more if you wanted.

In fact I know someone who has four and I remember reading a post from someone on this forum who claims to have nine.

My self I have two Polk subs and found them to be more than sufficient.

4. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

The servo-15 doesn't have any more headroom than the 2200. If you want reference (or near) output, then corner loading 2 2200's is your best bet. Personally, I do not seek out reference levels, so low extension and a tight, responsive sound are paramount to me. But if your priority is clean output at insane volumes, then go for 2.

5. mark rush

mark rush Stunt Coordinator

I compared the servo 15 to the 2200, for my taste I bought the 2200, my room is also very big, and i'm picking up my second 2200 this weekend, and one servo 15 is close to the same price as two pw2200, if you want the BIG bass buy the two, if you listen to lower levels and want a slight improvement on quality buy the servo15

6. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

My HT is not as big as yours-24x12 with 10' ceilings- and has many openings, entrances. One sub did good for me but having two permitted me to put them on coast and get over 100 db peaks at -13 to -10. Mark sums it up well imo. You do have a big HT so I would strongly consider. But then I guess that's why you posted this thread.

7. Haru

Haru Stunt Coordinator

I have two NHT SubTwoi's and I had them hooked up in stereo, each sitting next to one of the main speakers, crossed over at 50Hz. Then, I stacked them in one corner, hooked them up in mono, crossed over at 80Hz. The output definitely went up, but the situation was not satisfactory at all. For one thing, the subs had not been working hard earlier, so doing it this way did not make them perform any better. They were each working harder earlier, but still not hard, and when I had the sub levels rebalanced to my taste, there was no more bass than I had previously. COnclusion, I had more than enough output to not need corner loading for both.

Additionally, my mains are capable of extending pretty low and franky, I much prefer the 50Hz cross over setting. Its clean and tight without and flubbyness.

Lastly, I found that with the subs in one corner and stacked, the sound just wasn't smooth. I could VERY distinctly make out that the sound was coming from the side of the room that the subs were in. It was NOT omnipresent. I don't know if the subs were causing higher harmonics in the things around them or what but I could definitely tell where they were. I killed the main speakers and listen just to the subs and again, it was quite clear that the subs were in the left back quadrant of the room.

I moved back to my stereo 50Hz setup and again and the subs vanished.

I know that there is very little stereo bass and i know sounds that low should not be localizable, but that just doesn't agree with what I heard. So now anyone who asks me on sub or two, I say two.

8. Doug_NHT

Doug_NHT Stunt Coordinator

Right on Haru. Sounds like you have your subs set up just like mine. I have 2 NHT sub2i's right next to my NHT VT2.4s. I have been going back and forth setting the crossover to either 50Hz or 40Hz. I still haven't settled on one setting just yet. I would never put a sub in a corner as it just didn't sound right when I tried it. Going to a Rob Zombie concert and seeing how they had their "subs" stacked made my decision clear. One can definitely hear the diff when the controller is set in stereo mode.

Doug

9. Cire

Cire Stunt Coordinator

If I may add another question:

When using 2 subs, is it necessary that they be of the same wattage? or even of the same kind?

Thanks.

10. Haru

Haru Stunt Coordinator

thats a tricky one. If you plan to use them in stereo, I would say that they really SHOULD be identical. If you plan to run them in mono, then its probably not essential. However, it the sub's frequency response is not identical, you will get exagerated performance where the subs overlap and comparitively weak performance where they don't. Also, the levels will have to be set independently in accordance with each sub's abilities.

In a mono setup it can be made to work with careful tuning and setup.

11. Mike-grouse

Mike-grouse Stunt Coordinator

I'll differ from everyone else here,

Don't bother with 2 2200s.

I have the 2200 in a 24x16 room and at a properly calibrated level it plays the whole room perfectly. If a jam it out, one sub will vibrate the hell out of the whole room.

The properly calibrated level is about half that of the full jam out overbass setting.

With that much room for growth I think you'd be hard pressed for a reason to buy 2.

I'd save the money on more important upgrades.

One trick to point out with sub placement is the subs line of sight. You need about 20 feet of clear space in front of the sub to get the frequency response down to 20hz. Without that much line of sight the lowest you'll go is 30-40hz. I far off difference I gaurantee.

Good luck. And if you're looking fo rmre sub setup info I use HTadvice.com. THe have a setup section that constantly reminds of stuff I keep forgetting about.

12. mark rush

mark rush Stunt Coordinator

Well guys the last post might be right, I have one pw2200, and i ordered a second, well it should of been at the stereo shop on Friday, guess what, no sub yet, so the manager let me take a smaller sub home till the 2200 comes in he gave me a ps1200 to use, it has less power and a bandpass box, I took it home and stacked it on top of my pw2200 in the corner, WOW , it made a big improvement on the amount of BASS you can really FEEL the impact, and the hair on your arm will stand up, it just might be to much unless you like lots of bass{like me!} so I can't wait for my other pw2200 to get here, only now I guess I am going to have to add that B&K amp to my mains{Klipsch klf20's} to keep up with the bass, if you want to impress your friends with bass impact buy it, if not keep the one, my rat shack meter is hitting 116 db's at seated position, and it's not straining yet! and this is running the subs hot, if set correctly one should do just fine
    Mark

13. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I would advocate one better sub that has the lower extension rather than 2 subs with a higher output but also a higher extension.