What's new

One sounds great - other OK (1 Viewer)

Jeff_Stan

Auditioning
I'm a new reader and poster so go easy. I've gotten lost in the options and ofcoarse find myself never satisfied with the results, as nothing sounds the same at home as it did at the store!

My system:

TV = sony 53"

Reciever = Sony STR DE845

Speakers = Polk RM 6600, with RM 2600 sub

DVD = Sony DVP - s530 D

I thought this sounded pretty good until I heard my father inlaws who had just junked his Bose lifestyle 25 II for a Onkyo reciever TX-DS676, and I think the Energy Take home 5's.

My system did not have anything close to the center brilliance and even room filling base.

Not being 100% on his speekers. any suggestions on my system?

seating is about 10' from tv, fronts are at about 7'high and mounted on the wall behing the TV (depth of tv about 18 inches). Rears are 6 feet behind seating and also about 7' high. Center is on top of the tv. (father inlaws was set in corner - fronts: were in front of the tv abut 7' high, rears were, not behind the seating area, but rather even with seating area alos about 7' high)

I can see myself falling victim to the upgrade syndrom , which is half the fun, but I do want to stay within reason.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

AbelM

Second Unit
"I thought this sounded pretty good until I heard my father inlaws who had just junked his Bose lifestyle 25 II for a Onkyo reciever TX-DS676, and I think the Energy Take home 5's."

Isn't it impossible to run both of these...?

Ches Campbell

Stunt Coordinator
First of al, your Father-in-law has a very superior receiver. The onkyo has better sound quality, reliablity, build quality, and power than you sony.
Second, maybe his sub has more power than yours and it could be in a better position in the room.
Third, your room may not be as good for hometheater as his.
Those polks are pretty nice speakers. I have never heard the energy ones, but have heard great things.
If I were you, the first thing I would upgrade would be the receiver, then sub, then speakers.
Later

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation690
Recent bookmarks