What's new

One small step for man... (1 Viewer)

Mike Brogan

Second Unit
35 years ago, Buzz Aldrin and Neil Armstrong landed on the the moon.

Here's a harrowing recollection of their close call.

Apollo 11's Close Call

Wow, 17 seconds of fuel left on touchdown.

There's also additional pertinent links at the site above.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
They used to think the moon was made of cheese.

Now we know it's made of rock.

That's what happens when you leave cheese out.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
Wasn't it actually "one small step for [a] man..." but the radio cut out for the word "a" so everyone misunderstood Armstrong's message? Doesn't really make sense the way everybody thinks it's supposed to be.

Oh yeah, we all know it was a hoax perpetrated by Nasa and Stanley Kubrick :D

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

I picked this set up recently during Deep Discount DVD's 20% off sale. I have only watched the first disc so far (which goes from assembly of the Saturn rocket to the Eagle landing on the moon). There's some great film footage and audio clips so far.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member

That's what Neil Armstrong always has maintained. And in 1969, the media gave him the benefit of the doubt.

Sorry, though. There is no brief pause or static in the transmission to indicate that he could have said "a."

So, there was the Great Astronaut, having just accomplished the greatest feat in human history -- and he flubbed his line!

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Indeed it was a flub. But overall, he and everyone else involved performed brilliantly, so it's ok. :)

Lee L

Supporting Actor
I saw an interesting Show on the National Geographic Channel last night that took a "Mythbusters" like approach to the moon conspiracy people's theories about shadows, dust, the flag, etc and pretty much busted them good. I think it is still on for a couple more airings It was called "Moon Conspiracy" or something similar. It actually gave time to a couple of people who are evidently in the forefront of the consipiracy movement and each had written a book about it I think.

The funny thing for me is that it is almost depressing for me sometimes to think about the fact that we as a country are such losers that we will not commit to doing anything meaningfull in space after having done so much with comparitively little technlogy 35 years ago. Now I just read this moring that the congress wants to slash NASA's budget instead of giving the increase the president wanted.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks