One Satellite dish for 2 rooms??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Calvin_Su, Nov 4, 2002.

1. Calvin_Su

Calvin_Su Stunt Coordinator

If you have one dish for two rooms which are very far apart, do you lose reception? The technician who came to install directv said yes, but I called the directv office and they disagreed.

2. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

How far apart?

3. Calvin_Su

50 yards

4. Calvin_Su

I have another question -

The technician wanted to install the directv system using my cable line. Would this affect the quality at all? If it does then I will tell the technician to install his own line.

5. Dave_Olds

Dave_Olds Stunt Coordinator

Thats odd....

From the Dish to the receiver it HAs to be RG6 according to every installer I have ever talked to....From the receiver it can be RG59 (typical cable)....thats a long distance - 150ft between rooms? or total distance from the dish to the receiver? Anything over 100ft is subject to possible degradation - but not guaranteed providing a good RG6 is used....Of course if he uses your current RG59 cable line and its over 100 ft it WILL definitely degrade...

I can tell you what I think the installer is up to....He is willing to use your cable while billing DirecTV for the line....He can keep the line or not buy some and pocket more cash....In any case, I dont think the installer is on the up and up and you might consider reporting him....Certainly force him to use RG6 provided by DirecTV - they pay for it and expect it to be provided to you....