One reason why the PSP is worth every penny

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by RAF, Apr 16, 2005.

1. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

'Nuff said!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

And for those looking for resources regarding how this is done, here's an informative link. Yes, SONY and/or third parties will eventually release some formal type of browser firmware or software, but there are several options available now that take advantage of the Wi-Fi capabilities of the PSP. One of the simplest ways involves the built-in browser in Wipeout Pure and it works surprisingly well for something that is essentially beta test material. The link referenced above walks you through it step by step. You don't want to throw away your PC just yet for obvious reasons, but all of a sudden the PSP doesn't look too expensive if you consider you can do some surfing near wi-fi hot spots in addition to playing all those great games, not to mention videos and music!

Leave it to the bleeding edge crowd to keep things interesting. And it's probably going to get even better and easier as we speak. Just Google "PSP on the Web" or similar and you will get a wealth of information.

As the Chinese said
    [​IMG]

3. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

That's a riot! I didn't realize this was even possible. Definitely a nifty gadget. I keep reigning myself in from a purchase, though.

4. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

Well, Jay, as prices of memory cards continue to drop while capacity increases, this will become harder and harder for you to resist - especially as more users find ways to unlock the potential of the PSP. It already is, IMHO, the finest handheld gaming device to date and the fact that it also handles music files, music videos, video, digital picture display and, to some extent at present, The Internet via WiFi justifies its higher price.

If you add up the cost of all the handheld devices that you would have to purchase to duplicate the functionality of the all-in-one PSP it would become evident that the PSP is actually quite a bargain. Of course, if you already own all the other devices, then perhaps you might not agree. However, I'm pleased with the gaming performance of the PSP and would have purchased it even if it didn't do all these other things. But that's a personal choice.

5. TonyTone

TonyTone Supporting Actor

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought all of the methods for doing so involve using the Wipeout Pure browser...at least for now--not unless there's another PSP game currently out there that has a built-in web browser util similar to Wipeout Pure...or if you were implying the use of the soon-to-be-release browser functionality in the Korean PSP units--which if so, doesn't technically count since it's not officially available here in the U.S.... [​IMG]

6. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

You may be right about Wipeout Pure being a requirement for now. I'm currently "on the road" so it's difficult to research this to any great extent. I thought that a few people were working on ways to connect directly to some servers without WP, but that's just from a cursory reading of the information on the web.

If you find out more, let me know. Someone, somewhere, is going to make the web experience on the PSP easier without the need for WP if they haven't already, that's for sure, since the Wi-Fi capability of the unit has been established. It's just a matter of fine tuning the interface.

7. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

If I was on the road and away from all the other consoles more, I'd buy one of these in a second. The only major drawback at this point is the fact that there's no affordable bulk memory. I wonder how long it'll be before someone comes out with a hard drive attachment though. I'd think you could take one of the microDrives (that they use in the mini ipods) and hack something up with a memory stick interface. Might make the psp a little bulkier, but it would mean being able to store more movies etc on there.

They also need a better battery solution for it-the reported 3 or 4 hours just isn't enough for a longish trip.

8. David Galindo

David Galindo Screenwriter

Chris, I recommend the PSP Power Brick...it charges the PSP twice in a single trip.

9. RichardK

RichardK Second Unit

I use iGO tips for mobile power solutions, also for my laptop, cell phone, and Ipod. else take your cords,there are not bulky at all...

10. RichardK

RichardK Second Unit

Maybe this is the real reason why your PSP is worth every penny?

PSP and the Bunny

Gotta love Hugh!