One Problem Left: Sports on a 16:9 set???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Morris, Aug 16, 2001.

1. John Morris

John Morris Guest

I love watching sports. On the weekend, I'll watch almost anything that is on TV. I live for the playoffs... baseball, hockey, and especially football. My 6 year old son is a car racing fan... and I'm becoming one. But, I have yet to see a 16:9 set that was watchable for 4:3 non-HD broadcast sports. The various full screen modes are just not satisfactory for sports. The stretch modes make a running back running accross the screen look fat, then OK, then fat again. The zoom mode chops off the stats and scores which appear at the top and bottom of the screen. It seems that most sports for the coming years will continue to be in plain old non-HD format. Does that doom me to doing most of my weekend viewing on my 16:9 set in a 4:3 box with borders??? Unless, CBS somehow wins the bidding on all sports, I fear we are doomed to many more years of mostly non-HD sports. What do you think???
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------
    DFAST, 5C, DVI, HDCP, SafeAudio, Macrovision and Lewinski!!!

2. Gary_E

Gary_E Second Unit

John,
    My experience with the Toshiba 40H80 using Theaterwide 1 stretch mode is very, very good on sports over my c-band dish. It was necessary to converge the set using grid overlays that corrected the intensity of the stretch. I found on my set that the vertical gridlines that are 2/3 of the way from the center were off about 1/2-3/4" towards the edges.
    After aligning these lines inward as per the grid, the image was much less spread out towards the edge and the finished result was a very well balanced stretch across the screen.
    It only took me a few minutes to get use to the 'effect' when I first got the set and I never use 'standard' mode to view anything, it just isn't needed IMHO.
    Hope this helps,
    -Gary

3. Abdul Jalib

Abdul Jalib Stunt Coordinator

John, you have a Philips set, with the anti-burn-in image movement stuff, right? So, why not just leave it in 4:3 mode and forget about it? Or are you using an external scaler (which goes into a HD input, which doesn't have this anti-burn-in stuff)?
    ------------------
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Philips_HDTV/joinClick to subscribe to Philips_HDTV discussion group

4. Michael St. Clair

You may want to consider the 4:3 Toshibas coming out this fall (September):
    43H71
    43HX71
    50H71
    53H71
    53HX71
    61H71
    Unlike the old 4:3 HD Toshibas, they have proper (unstretched, uncropped, no downconversion) 16:9 modes for both 1080i and 480p.
    Also the new HS30 Sonys, and the Philips 60PP9701 (a 4:3 set that resolves a higher-res 16:9 image than all the 16:9 RPTVs currently on the market).
    I'm certainly not saying that a 16:9 set is not the right choice for you, only you can decide that. But if I cared about both sports and movies and needed to watch them on the same set, I wouldn't buy a set without checking out these models and making in-store comparisons (make the salesperson show you 480p DVD, 1080i HD, and NTSC sports on both the 4:3 sets and the 16:9 sets. And buying from a local retailer with a decent return policy is a good idea!

5. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

If you dislike stretched pictures, use the 4:3 mode on a 16:9 set. Unless you have lots of folks over to share the Super Bowl and beer and some are seated way off to the sides in which case regular 16:9 mode with uniform stretch is better.
    Set the contrast down to about 1/3 of the scale, calibrate everything else around that, and you should not have any CRT burn problems with all that 4:3 viewing.
    More video hints: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

6. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Thank you all for your help and suggestions...
    Abdul: nope I ended up cancelling my Philips order, sold my iScan Pro, and then missed the employee store sale on the 60pp9601, so I am still shopping.
    I am a hair away from buying a new Toshiba 57HX81 but then I watched a non-HD baseball game on the set. The 4:3 image was fine, but the image was smaller than I am used to, and I would be concerned about burn-in. The stretched mode just looked funny with fat guys at third and first base. And the zoomed mode lopped off the top and bottom info and the image looked slightly fuzzy.
    Maybe the 53HX71 would be the ticket for me. Or, maybe the employee store will once again offer the 60pp9601 for only $2299 delivered!!!
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------
    DFAST, 5C, DVI, HDCP, SafeAudio, Macrovision and Lewinski!!!

7. Michael St. Clair

John,
    I'm with you; when I watch sports I want it to look as real as possible, and no stretching (even when graduated towards the sides) looks real to a critical eye.
    If the H71 and HX71 sets are at Sears this fall, combining internet price-matching and special no-interest financing could make a steal for them.