What's new

One powerful receiver or amp + receiver? (1 Viewer)

daesonn

Auditioning
Real Name
Bobby
Hey guys,

I finally purchased a pair of KEF Q950s towers + a Q650c center and I would like your opinions on what kind of receiver (or receiver + amp combo) I should be looking out for with the holiday sales starting soon. I know these speakers will require more power than the average receiver will output. Do you think I'm better off spending money on a single powerful receiver or going for an average powered receiver on sale and pairing it with an amplifier? I'm open to specific product recommendations.

Thanks

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Welcome!

These speakers are rated at 8 ohms nominal impedance and 91dB efficiency. Driving them should not be an issue with any decent receiver or amp. Your decision should probably be more a factor of your room and preferences. In my case, I like it loud and dynamic and have a fairly large 3150 cubic ft room. For that reason and several others, I'm separates all the way.

There is a wealth of content here to peruse regarding the merits of either approach. A quick search should give you more than enough information to make your best decision.

daesonn

Auditioning
Real Name
Bobby
Well from my little bit of research, it seems as though I would need an AVR capable of approximately 250w per channel to achieve the THX 115db sound rating recommended. Most AVRs I see are 150w per channel. I rarely see ones (especially in a reasonable price range) that have over 200w per channel. Am I missing something??

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks