one ohm home amps

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JamesX, Aug 23, 2002.

1. JamesX

JamesX Auditioning

Hello! Recently I have been becoming more and more interested in home theater systems. I planning to purchase Jamo speakers and an Onkyo receiver TX-DS797. For subs I have 3 car audio subs, Audiobahn Alum12Q. 300 bucks a piece. They are 6ohm dual voice coils. So They could be wired down to 1 ohm at wich I had them wired in my car. Then I sold the car and now I have them laying around collection dust. So I was wondering if 1 ohm stable amps exist for home use. Because I know not all car amps can handle 1 ohm and only class D amps are used for this. I need around 1000 watts. I was looking at some velodyne subs and they are like 1400 watts so I was wondering whats the ohms on them and what powers them. Is it possible to find anything for my subs. Any input will be very helpful. The subs are great at sound quality and produce super tight bass just as I like it.

2. RichardMA

RichardMA Second Unit

You might just want to use car amps and connect
    them to a large inverter to turn wall 120vac to 12vdc.

3. Chris Eriksen

Chris Eriksen Stunt Coordinator

Wire the voice coils of each sub in series, and the three subs in parallel. This will yield a 4 ohm load, which leaves plenty of options for amplification. Many pro amps will run at 4 ohms mono.

One other point that you may (or may not) have considered. The box size will need to be much larger for HT than for in-car use. Car subs rely on significant cabin gain to achieve low frequency response in a small enclosure. This cabin gain is not present in a HT environment, so the sub enclosure must be capable of producing the low-end response on its own.

4. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

You may want to sell the car drivers and build a DIY home subwoofer. That would probably be worth the effort. I mention this because you might not like the results of trying to use the car drivers in a large room.

5. Sihan Goi

Sihan Goi Second Unit

Many people have used JL Audio subs in HT applications satisfactorily. I'm not sure of Audiobahn subs, but I've always been impressed by their looks and apaprent build quality. Of course, I've only seen them in photos and never in real life so I might be mistaken...do you plan to build a subwoofer with all 3 drivers in 1 enclosure? That would be one really large enclosure...

6. JamesX

JamesX Auditioning

That is something I didnt think about, yes I could wire them into a 4 ohms. Also using an inverter is something i though about but I need about 90-120 amps, somthing a 1000 doallar inverter wont do and I can aford anything bigger because it would be cheaper to buy a HT sub setup. Ill probably go with the 4 ohm wiring and use a HT amp. And yes audiobahm subs look awsome, they are good with SQ too. They have improved alot since they firs came out.