One more XP question before I call it a night...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jon_Are, Jun 18, 2002.

1. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

Doesn't XP have a back-up program??????

Can't find that sucka.

Thanx,

Jon

2. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

The backup program is located at:

Start->All Programs->Accessories->System Tools->Backup

If you don't see it, then insert XP disk.

Goto VALUEADDMSFTNTBACKUP.

In the NTBACKUP folder, double-click ntbackup.msi to install the program.

3. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

Thanks, Danny.

This OS is supposed to be an improvement??

Backup was not listed under System Tools. I inserted the XP disk, and there was no VALUEADD nor BACKUP listed. I performed a search, selecting the D drive to search, and it turned up NTBACKUP, but in the C drive . So, I go to my computer, look for that file, and it is not there.

Next, I again perform the same search and get the same result. This time, I double-click NTBACKUP and it is installed. Now I look under SYSTEM TOOLS and, of course, it is not listed.

I do another C drive search and find it under WINDOWS/SYSTEM32. OK, that's fine. I just want to be able to find it. So now, I drag the icon onto my desktop. I do an ARRANGE ICONS BY NAME, and the Backup icon remains in the last spot. I change the name to aabackup, repeat to arrange alphabetically, and it returns to the end, as if just to piss me off. I drag it over to where it belongs, arrange alphabetcially, and it remains at the end.

I realize this is no big deal, but it's an annoyance. And it makes me wonder what else is not going to work as it should.

Or is it just me?

Jon

4. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

Oops, sorry about the poor directions. I guess the CD directory structure of the various versions of XP differ.