1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

one more question about non-anamorphic video on widescreen sets........

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KevinW, Feb 8, 2002.

1. KevinW

KevinW Stunt Coordinator

I've almost got enough $$$ socked away for a new widescreen set, currently set on the Sony 51HW40, but my question is about widescreen sets in general. I'm satisfied with most stretch modes for 4:3 material, but what I'm confused about is viewing the non-anamorphic widescreen images of some of my DVD and VHS videos. On any widescreen set, to get a non-anamorphic image to fill the screen and lose the black bars, I'll have to use a zoom mode correct, since this really is a 4:3 image? But won't I then be losing some content off of the sides of the picture, which would be defeating the purpose?

Someone clear this up for me please........

2. Jesse Leonard

Jesse Leonard Second Unit

No, you won't be loosing image on non-anamorphic widescreen DVD's/VHS's. The image is stretched outward to touch the edges of you TV and upwards to "get rid of the black bars" (unless the image is 2.35, then there will still be small black bars on the top and bottom).

If you did this with a 4:3 image, then you would loose image on the top and bottom because the 4:3 image doesn't have built-in black bars on the tops and bottoms (letter-boxing). But you can fill the screen with a 4:3 image by using one of the other stretch modes that distorts (stretches horizontally but not vertically) the image to fill the screen.

3. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

As Kevin says, using zoom to expand non-anamorphic widescreen dvds and vhs will not lose any image area. What it will do is lose a bit of resolution as the zoom mode is sorta the opposite of a raster squeeze--the scan lines get a little farther apart to achieve the vertical part of the stretch.
    On the Sony (I have a KP57HW40) this will mean that when using the tv's zoom to fill the screen with nonanamorphic widescreen pictures you will see scanlines, though they won't be nearly as bad as on a regular ntsc-only set.
    Some dvd players, the Panasonic RP-91 and the new JVC progressive players, have a "scaling" feature that will zoom the non-anamorphic discs and do it better than the tv's zoom mode. I have one of the new JVCs, and when playing The Abyss, which is non-anamorphic, the player's scaling makes the image look almost as good as an anamorphic disc, and is noticeably better than the tv's zoom. Unfortunately this scaling doesn't work on discs that aren't properly flagged as non-anamorphic (Titanic is an example).
    In this case one must use the zoom feature on the player and do various tricks to get rid of the "zoom" icon that appears on the screen.