One more h/k 520 ? Is the 520 compatible with 96kHz/24bit dvd-A?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Todd smith, Apr 12, 2002.

1. Todd smith

Todd smith Supporting Actor

Just wondering if this receiver is 96kHz/24 bit compatible with for dvd audio? What exactly is dvd audio? (dvd-A)

2. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

3. Todd smith

Todd smith Supporting Actor

Thanks for the info. I assume that all this means it is compatible. I assume that 192kHz/24bit is even better than 96kHz/24bit, is this correct?

4. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

Yeah, maybe, probably, I guess, every odd thursday. Boy that JVC sure looks nice.

5. Jeff Keene

Jeff Keene Supporting Actor

Hi Todd --

This may not answer your question, as I'm too lazy to look up the 520 to see if it has this... but... all the receiver needs to be "DVD-A compatible" is a set of 6 (or 5.1) channel analog inputs.

Because of copy-protection issues (read: nonsense), digital connections are not yet available that allow DVD-A bits to be processed by a receiver. So while a 96/24 (or 192/24 for that matter) may aid you in other ways (over-sampling, not sure on DD/DTS, etc.) it will NOT help you with DVD-A at this time.

Without getting technical (since I'd get it wrong), DVD-A is a format that uses the capacity of a DVD and lossless compression to give you 6 channels of 96/24 resolution for an audio program (vs 44/16 or 48/16 x 2 on a standard CD).

This added resolution allows greater dynamic range and frequency response, as well as a more "analog-like" sound (due to the higher sampling rate).