One more GREAT use for duct tape!

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Bryan X, Jan 24, 2004.

1. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

2. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Screenwriter

Red Green would be proud.

3. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    doesnt mention duct tape in the article.

CJ

4. CaseyLS

CaseyLS Second Unit

Man I have watched Red Green in a long time. What a great show.

5. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

No, it doesn't specifically mention duct tape. I made the supposition that it was duct tape because it made for a snappy title. Does it really matter if it was duct tape, scotch tape, plumbers tape, packing tape, masking tape, or whatever... [​IMG]

6. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

François Caron
    Let's see. If the employees had dropped the explosive, it could have set off a "violent reaction" with "potentially unacceptable consequences."

Nice calm, diplomatic way to say it would have NUKED THE WHOLE BLOODY REGION!!!

Duct tape or not, this still would have been a true Red Green moment. I wonder if the plant has someone who looks like Harold? [​IMG]

7. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Actually, I think the issue was that they used a taping procedure without supervision of a person trained in the proper procedure. I think the "taping" concept is an over simplification, and they actually used the correct basic materials and methods, they simply violated policy by not being supervised by someone qualified to do the taping.

That was the main violation. Of course, it's buried in the article, as "scientists tape together nuclear warhead" makes a much better story. No one bother to realize whether that was "normal" or not.

8. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

I don't quite read it the same way you do. No where do they indicate that 'taping' is a normal procedure. In fact they say the opposite:

"This month's unorthodox handling of the unstable explosive"

Calling the handling 'unorthodox' indicates that the 'taping' method is NOT normal procedure.

Later on in the article they clearly state that 'taping' the explosives was a 'mistake':

"Conway said taping the explosives together was one of several mistakes made by Pantex officials that risked an explosion."

Yes, Pantex officials did 'play down' the risks, but what do you expect from them? You don't really think they are going to admit what they did was dangerous, do you? They are going to mitigate their mistakes as much as possible.

"Failing to have experts who had developed the procedure watch the taping and removal to try to spot any problems."

What they are saying is that the experts developed the procedure OF DISMANTLING WEAPONS not the procedure of TAPING IT TOGETHER.

Yes, media can and do blow stories out of proportion, but that doesn't mean that you swing the pendulum the other way and completely blow off the risks.

Read the article carefully and you will realize that while the actual risk of a nuclear explosion was low, this was not 'normal' procedure.

9. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Actually my statements didn't come from the article, rather from reading the actual original Safety Board report and from another article which I cannot find a link to currently. The use of adhesives like tape during a dismantling process is actually commonplace, for example to keep bearing packings in place or electronic harnesses from coming unseated.

But again, this was not a direct quote, this was a presented quote in the course of the article--- Conway could have easily been saying that the method in which they were taped was the mistake, and out of context it becomes "taping" in general.

Just another example of how things can be presented slightly skewed without outright falsehood.

10. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

I'd be interested in reading the original safety board report and the other article if you come across the links.