One Million Years BC-Shorter Cut?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Eric Paddon, Jan 15, 2004.

1. Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon Screenwriter

I just noticed on Amazon that the specs for the One Million Years BC DVD to be released on March 9 lists a running time of 92 minutes. If so, that means this is going to be the shorter VHS cut and not the expanded 100 minute European cut used for the Laser Disc. I sincerely hope this is a misprint on Amazon's part and that Fox hasn't blown this.

2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Is the longer version superior to the shorter version?

3. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

MoviesUnlimited shows a 91-min. run time.
    While DDD shows 92m.
    While DVD Planet displays a 100-m. time.
    DVD Soon also prefers the 100m. time.

4. Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon Screenwriter

The extra scenes don't add too much but I just prefer to get a DVD version of what was put out on LD so I can have a good reason to get rid of the LD. Whenever an LD I have doesn't get duplicated on certain things, then the LD has to stay even if I do get the DVD.

5. JeffMc

JeffMc Supporting Actor

jeffmc
    The longer version contains some of Harryhausen's stop-motion that was trimmed for the shorter cut so it is definitely essential. We're not simply talking about trimmed stock footage or landscape shots. We're talking dinosaurs.

6. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

I love it when people have their priorities straight. [​IMG]

7. Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald Screenwriter

Peter Fitzgerald
    Yes. The scenes involving the giant turtle, and the initial pterodactyl attack on Raquel Welch & the cave-kid, are longer in the 100-minute cut, for instance. The cannibalistic nature of the shaggy cave-apes is revealed in the longer cut, and Martine Beswick does a wild dance ritual, which isn't present in the shorter version. All good reasons for the longer version to be the one available on Fox's DVD.

I have a feeling we will get the longer cut on DVD. Besides the LD release, the film is shown in its longer form on (relatively) recent cable broadcasts, particularly on TCM and AMC (back before AMC's commercial-filled slide into irrelevence).

8. Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon Screenwriter

I stand corrected on the extra Harryhausen material in the longer cuts. The extra violence with the cannibals and John Richardson tasting paint were all I could remember offhand.

One other difference is that in the longer cut Richardson is billed first, whereas in the shorter cut Raquel is.

9. soop.spoon

soop.spoon Supporting Actor

I can't believe no one asked about this at the chat.
    Fox will likely do the right thing, but I'm still nervous.

10. Porfirio

Porfirio Second Unit

Any one know what version will be on the R1 DVD release, the U.S. theatrical cut or the International cut? Thanks in advanced.

11. Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon Screenwriter

We're still waiting to find out. My LD stays on my shelf until there is absolute confirmation this is the longer cut.

I erred in saying Richardson was billed first in the longer cut. Raquel has top billing (and deservedly so!) in both.

12. Thomas Hart

Thomas Hart Stunt Coordinator

Well, here's the answer taken from a review I found at www.dvddrive-in.com:

It's a real shame that Warner's upcoming Hammer films are going to be the extended versions and Fox's won't be. [​IMG]

13. Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon Screenwriter

NO SALE!!!! (And damn you Fox for screwing up a title I'd been waiting years for!)

14. Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon Screenwriter

And since there are no extras on this other than a couple trailers which Fox also put on other DVDs of theirs, there is not *one* reason why anyone who has the LD or taped the long cut off cable should buy this DVD. Try again, Fox!

15. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

Damn! there can be no excuse-if nothing else, FOX could have cribbed the missing nine minutes from their LD master,(which was very good btw) and after digital cleanup, inserted the scenes back in-few would be the wiser-and all would be happy.
    The assumption being that they now have no access to the original Associaited British Pathe negative.

16. luke_ha

luke_ha Stunt Coordinator

yes there is no reason that movies dont get the full treatment on dvd. I detest shrunk movies. It is not like i am stuck in a movie theater i want everything. Call me greedy.

17. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

Fox released the longer version on DVD in the UK (it's listed at 96 minutes but that's because of PAL speed-up). I don't understand why they would release the shorter version here. Very disappointing.

18. soop.spoon

soop.spoon Supporting Actor

Order cancelled.
    What a huge disappointment.

I would be great if one of the mods could change the title to be a statement rather than a question. Forum members have the right to know when a studio drops the ball in such a big way.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

19. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

Gonna have to cancel my order too. Good thing I still have the LD. Well its definately between Warner and Universal for studio of the year for me now. Fox is loosing points.

20. Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette Cinematographer

This is indeed disappointing. Though, seeing as how I have never seen this movie, and I do not own a laserdisc player, I think I will pick this movie up, and hope, against hope, Fox revists it as a special edition with the longer cut.