One Million Years BC - R2 DVD - Some bad news

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JulianK, Jun 15, 2002.

1. JulianK

JulianK Supporting Actor

I've just received a review copy of the forthcoming R2 One Million Years BC disc, and it's not anamorphic.
    Studio Canal have pretty much disgraced themselves again, following their very poor versions of Dracula - Prince of Darkness and She last year. (For those of you who haven't seen them, they're non-anamorphic transfers, and both are plagued with compression artefacts).
    On the positive side, the disc contains the film's trailer, and new interviews with Raquel Welch (8m) and Ray Harryhausen (12m).

2. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

It's sad that when R2 has chance after chance to improve on early R1 releases, they waste it. And they wonder why many of us still import. [​IMG]
    I'd love new SEs of those three - preferably tins (or coffins [​IMG] ) - over to you, Anchor Bay!

3. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

4. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

Apparently, Fox is curently at work doing restoration on One Million Years BC in anticipation of a late 2002/early 2003 release date, at least that's what I got from Peter Staddon at the last Studio Day event at Dave's in L.A.
    The laser disc is widescreen and looks quite good so I can wait until the DVD comes out though it would be nice to have the Welch interview from R2 ported to the R1 DVD.

5. Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon Screenwriter

Is this R2 DVD the longer 100 minute cut of the film that was released on LD here? The VHS version is eight minutes shorter.

6. JulianK

JulianK Supporting Actor

I believe the UK has always had the longer version of the film (running 96m once adjustments are made). The shorter version was prepared by Fox in the US.

Here in the UK the film was originally distributed by Warner Pathe, and has been released on video by several companies over the years, including Thorn EMI, Weintraub and Warner Home Video. The new DVD is released by Studio Canal, and distributed by Warner Home Video.

7. carl.k

carl.k Auditioning

Julian, is the aspect ratio for the Studio Canal B.C. 1.66:1? Does it really look as bad as SHE? I might have to order it, thanks for the info.