one man car shop...did i get ripped off?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeffrey Chin, Oct 8, 2002.

1. Jeffrey Chin

Jeffrey Chin Second Unit

May 22, 2001
    So I am driving to Staples to get a replacement toner cartridge for my HP LaserJet printer.
    Out of the blue comes some guy that solicits me in his car to fix the damage on my car.
    He offered to fix 2 dents + the bumper for $400.

I let him do it.
    What he did: went to a parking lot (he had all the tools in his trunk)

I watched him the whole time do the following...
    - Pulled out the 2 dents w/ some proprietary looking device..and hammering out the shape
    - Salvaged the bumper by placing 3 screws to hold it back together
    - Put body filler w/ hardener
    - Sanded it down
    - Spray painted it (what he calls primer)

He did a good job.
    Only thing is...I need a paint job now since the spray paint doesn't match the car color entirely.
    I have been meaning to get a paint job anyway since there are lots of scratches from dragging boxes off the rooftop, etc

The guy is earning an honest living
    I don't have to wait to get my car fixed
    Saved money by not having to buy a new bumper?

1. Was it worth it for the $400
    2. He offers to do paint job after work for another $200.
    Should I do the paint job or no?
    3. Did I just totally F*CK UP the resale value?

BTW, this all just happened during my lunch hour
    He is going to meet me at my place for the paint job (after work). I told him my lunch hour was up and I was starving.
    He said he likes me and to not eat anything because his mom will cook and his wife will tell me my fortune..WTF? LOL
    Oh yea..he also said I look familiar..that he remembers me from the Baccarat tables @ AC..DOH
  2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Feb 29, 2000
    $400 for removing 2 dents and repairing a minor bumper problem is a good deal. I hdve a fist sized dent on my trunk and the shops in my area wanted $325-$375, but after they take the dent out they professionally paint the whole trunk to match the car's existing paint, making it look like nothing happened.
    It sounds like this guy knew his customers would want a paint job and is counting on getting $600 each time. And btw, a $200 for a paint job is too good to be true. The real deal costs well over a grand, but that's not Maaco.
    But if that guy lived in the DC area I would have loved to have him fix my dent. I could stand a little mismatched paint.
  3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

May 8, 2001
    if you think he did a good job and don't care about having to repaint the car, then 400 isn't bad. it sounds like he knew what he was doing.
    bodyshops are freakin expensive - but that's what insurance is for.
    i bet if you offered him 300 he would have taken it. i mean, it took him no time at all. heck...he probably would have taken 200! heh!
    not sure if i'd let him paint my whole car though...better ask for references! [​IMG]
  4. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

Jan 24, 1999
    Hey, if you like the work, then that's not bad. A local shop wants $550 to fix one door dent in my Honda (repaint of door included).
  5. Aurel Savin

Aurel Savin Supporting Actor

Nov 15, 1998
    This guy must make some serious dough. He makes $400 /hr.

5 hours of work a week and he makes $2000 tax free !?!?!?!
    That is great!

I had a similar thing happen to me about 12 years ago on my first car. The guy did it for about $100 for one dent. But he did not do such a great job.
  6. Walt N

Walt N Second Unit

Jul 23, 2001
    If the body looks straight now, I'd say you got a great deal which can only add to the resale value of your car.
  7. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

Nov 13, 2000
    I would wonder how good his sanding is, with a flat primer on it's tough to see irregularities, sanding and prep takes a LOT of time. Ask anyone that's painted their own motorcycle.