One major point about the Beverly Hillbillies. Its like a soap opera.

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Tom_mkfty, Mar 27, 2004.

1. Tom_mkfty

Tom_mkfty Stunt Coordinator

The episodes are best watched in the correct order, beginning with the pilot episode. The public domain DVDs are not in the correct order. I notice some offer part 1 about the family tree but do not offer part 2 where Jed cuts the family tree.

Some offer one episode where Jed buys a freeway, but I think that is a multi parted story.

There is a 2 DVD set that offers five episodes on each disc. The last episode on disc one is the pilot episode.
    Getting Settled, is the first cut on the second disc, but the rest of the cuts on disc two are random.

2. Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin Screenwriter

Tom, this really does belong in your pre-existing Beverly Hillbillies thread. Believe it or not, people aren't incredibly lazy all the time. All those whose wish to read about The Beverly Hillbillies will click on any thread that has that title in the subject heading. You'll probably actually get less hits from readers this way.

As for the content of the public domain DVDs, there's no sense in trying to figure out what the companies were thinking when they produced the discs. They weren't thinking. They're just putting out an inexpensive, low-grade product that they didn't have to purchase any rights for.

And I have to strongly disagree with your title statement. Sure, The Beverly Hillbillies had 2-part episodes, as many shows like it did. But it's hardly like a soap opera -- the 2-part episodes are where any semblance of a continuing storyline begin and end. Most episodes of the series were 'one & done', like most sitcoms of the era. Nowadays we have shows like "Friends", "Scrubs", etc. that do give us continuing storylines while also being 'themed' episodes. It's almost a requirement these days in order for a sitcom to survive and compete with both dramas & reality programs.

3. Jaime_Weinman

Jaime_Weinman Supporting Actor

Actually, Tom isn't far from the truth. The Beverly Hillbillies, especially in the early seasons, would often have continuing story threads and let stories spill over several episodes. Very often an episode won't really end; it'll just sort of run out and they'll start up in the next episode where they left off. Probably because Paul Henning wrote almost every episode, so he just kind of wrote till he filled 25 minutes, and then kept going in the next script. It's very strange to think of The Beverly Hillbillies as groundbreaking, but it was probably the first sitcom to use continuing storylines and multi-episode arcs.

4. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

I'm pretty sure there were continuing storylines and multi-episode arcs in I Love Lucy long before the Beverly Hillbillies.

I'm surprised that this thread is still open. Usually telling admins not to do something isn't a very productive approach.

5. Tom_mkfty

When I buy a Beverly Hillbillies DVD I expect to be able to press, "play all," and watch the series, thread by thread, chapter by chapter, from the beginning to end.
    That is the kind of product I want to buy, when purchasing a Beverly Hillbillies DVD.

"Very often an episode won't really end; (Which is why I feel ripped off if I buy the public domain discs.)
    it'll just sort of run out and they'll start up in the next episode where they left off. Probably because Paul Henning wrote almost every episode, so he just kind of wrote till he filled 25 minutes, and then kept going in the next script. It's very strange to think of The Beverly Hillbillies as groundbreaking, but it was probably the first sitcom to use continuing storylines and multi-episode arcs."

How about the word, soapcom?

I never watched the series, Soap. Does it have threads like the Beverly Hillbillies or is it more like, the daytime soaps.

Green Acres had threads too.

Anyhow, to me The Beverly Hillbillies series IS a soapcom.

6. Tom_mkfty

Most episodes of the series were NOT 'one & done.'

Remember when the Clampetts went to England?
    Then Jethro became Robinhood when they got back?
    Then Elly Mae got homesick for the hills.
    How many episodes did all that take?

When the Drysdales became Tinkerbell and Peter Pan, that involved a lot of episodes too.

How about their trip to Washington?

There were reoccurring charactors, such as the conman who kept selling the Clampetts bridges and things and Dash Rip Off.

7. Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin Screenwriter

It's exactly like soap opera, only it parodies them, so it's funny and completely outrageous. Episodes end on a cliffhanger and are directly continued the next episode, which in turn, ends with another cliffhanger.