What's new

ONE FROM THE HEART Theatrical re-release! (1 Viewer)

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member

There are already 2 different threads in the Software section about the upcoming Special Edition DVD release, but the film IS going to be released to the theaters before that. I'm thrilled because while it's been one of our favorite films since the 80s, my husband and I have never seen it in the theater.

I just went to the official movie website to see what was new, and they do have dates for many of the showings up.

What's unusual, is that the dates are all over the place. In Chicago, it'll be opening January 2, at the Music Box. But in Dallas, for instance, it's opening November 26 at the Inwood Theater. It should be playing RIGHT NOW in New York City, at the Sunshine!

Anyone who is even remotely interested in this film (and that should probably include anyone who loved Moulin Rouge, fans of any of the actors, especially Teri Garr, as well as technical film buffs, Tom Waits fans, and many others) should look at this page and see if their city is listed:

One From The Heart theatrical re-release schedule

For years now I've thought that Coppola was embarrassed by this movie, and maybe blamed it for the trouble that happened because critics were idiots and people were blind to genius (am I bitter? do I sound bitter?) so it's such a relief to know that he IS proud of it. Maybe the "right" people will discover it this time.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I might have to check into running this next year as part of my Spring Big Screen Classics series. Big Screen Classics

I saw it during its original release and it looked great on the screen.

Thanks for the heads-up, Vickie!

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
This is a film I've always wanted to see; so I couldn't pass up the chance to see it on a big screen. The restored print at the Landmark Sunshine looked and sounded wonderful, but since I have nothing to compare it to, I can't say how much it's been improved over previous versions. The film itself is certainly a curiosity, and I can see why it didn't succeed with audiences (and probably won't get beyond cult status in this restored version). I agree with Vickie that Teri Garr is the standout among the cast, and the soundtrack is a treat.

M.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Looks like we're getting it (here in Philly) next month, Vickie! I'll definitely make an effort to get downtown to see it.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
The film itself is certainly a curiosity, and I can see why it didn't succeed with audiences (and probably won't get beyond cult status in this restored version). I agree with Vickie that Teri Garr is the standout among the cast, and the soundtrack is a treat.
I'm glad you saw it (and glad you're seeing it Scott!) and are happy with the way it looks. It didn't succeed with audences because it never even had a chance. The critics (most of them) savaged it, and it was pulled after a week and a half. (Thank you for the article Scott, I had no idea Coppola himself pulled it).

I think Moulin Rouge opened up some doors. I keep bringing that movie up, not because they're anything alike, they're not, but it just takes a certain mindset to appreciate movies where the backgrounds and settings are "real but fake" like MR and OFTR. You have to really let go and surrender yourself to the film the moment the red curtain opens. Let the fantasy elements wash over you along with the color and the music. Someone who just can't get past the obviously fake backgrounds or scenes like the giant sign turning into Nastassia Kinski singing "Little Boy Blue" are going to have a very hard time accepting the film.

It won't be a surprise hit, but it will find a wider audience, especially after it reaches DVD. People's Home Theater setups are much better now and again, the artifice of MR opened doors. That's all I've ever wanted.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
The comparison to Moulin Rouge is apt in some respects (notably the conscious use of blatant artificiality), but there are major differences as well. MR proceeds at a breakneck pace, which alienated some and captivated others (including me). One From the Heart is more deliberate, and that may be one of its weaknesses -- you get a little too much time to reflect on the conscious quirkiness of the whole affair.

I also think Frederic Forrest's Hank is a problem, which is mostly in the script. I don't think that character grabs the audience's sympathy the way Ewan McGregor does in MR; he certainly didn't grab mine (and I like Forrest as an actor). It's a problem, because you need to believe that Frannie would turn down Raul Julia's Ray for Hank -- and not just because she must to fulfill the romantic formula.

M.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
I understand what you're talking about Michael, but I can't be objective, since I've seen it so many times. Repeat viewings for us led us to get to know the characters better, and understand them better, and care very much about them.

Sure I want to slap them both silly sometimes, but (quoting myself...)

(Spoilers, but really, What Happens is not the point of the movie and is never in doubt)

Yes, the main characters (Forrest/Garr) argue. They can be annoying and stubborn and sometimes you just want to throttle them, but there must be tension so that they can Break Up, Meet Other People, then Realize They Were Meant To Be Together. The arguing, strangely enough, helps you get to know the characters better because you learn much more about them than if they were polite all the time. People say things when they argue that they would never say at any other time. Sometimes those things are maddening nitpicks, sometimes they're very important resentments that have long been hidden. Knowing from the start what these characters dislike about each other and the resentments they carry makes their reckoning, forgiveness, and acceptance of each other all the more meaningful.

(end quote)

Raul Julia's character wasn't quite the prize Frannie thought he was. She was blinded by his glamour, and chose to overlook his faults. She only cared about one thing: he wasn't Hank.

Hank knew who Frannie was though. He just forgot and took her for granted, as she did him. Having someone who knows you well and loves you anyway in your life is a very powerful thing.

Anyway, I really like how

"You Are My Sunshine" wins out over Bora-Bora. I wouldn't be surprised if Hank were to take Frannie there himself, now that he knows what she wants. I've always thought that.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
The One From The Heart web page now has a trailer. There had been short clips there (they're still there) but no trailer. It's great to see.

Unfortunately someone re-worked the site and it's cluttered and ugly as sin now, not sleek and classy the way it had been. Sigh.

It's fantastic to see that one of HTF's sponsors is advertising OFTH. I'd buy it from them, if not for the fact that I want to hold it in my hand the very day it's released. I'm like Gollum and the precious. Can't wait. Can't wait. It's nice of them though.

One more week. One more week!! We'll finally see the movie we've loved dearly, for almost 20 years, in the theater. On a big screen! On FILM! One more week!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks