What's new

One Eyed Jacks, VistaVision, & the like... (1 Viewer)

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W

No, that's the Les Films De Ma Vie edition.

Why doesn't everyone get the edition put out by Brentwood? True, Brentwood is a budget public-domain label, but they took it right off Paramount's laser-disc, so the picture is clean and sharp with good color and in the correct aspect ratio. Of course it could be better, but I think you'll be happy with it. It's still in print and it's dirt cheap.

As a matter of fact, my local video store has several copies for sale right now.

willyTass

Supporting Actor
Amazon.france have a provision to cancel an order if it hasn't shipped yet- perhaps if yours hasn't shipped yet you could try it provided you could navigate the lingo

I guess i got excited when i saw the paramount logo on the back.Sorry

How many times I've saved thousands by reading reviews by guys who got burnt who dived in early on DVD's , players, TV's etc. I hope our experience will benefit others.

Look at how much money the guys at DVDBEAVER have saved us over the years by steering us away from crap transfers?. On many occasions they learnt the hard way too

If there were any PAL region 4 Australian DVD's you were after I'll send em to ya free of charge Richard. (but not by express post!!)- I have an extra Godfather Trilogy Boxset if you need it

Perhaps we should lynch Mark Heuck:D

Exhume me when paramount releases One Eyed Jacks properly

Infact I think Amazon has a refund policy provided you don't open the dvd

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
That's exactly what I did. I had the Madacy version and ordered the Brentwood a few days back, based on your recommendation.

Just received word it is shipped to me. Won't make me very poor either: $5.95 (ex shipping).

Cees

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Good for you, Cees.

The Brentwood edition is too easy to get.
That's why nobody has it, because they don't have to work at it.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Yes and No.

That's a Brentwood edition, but it has a different cover than my Brentwood from last year.

I expect it's the same transfer, but Brentwood changed the cover art.

Look above to post 63 for the earlier cover art that Brentwood used on both the single disc and the box-set editions.

Also, disregard the reviews; amazon takes all the reviews for different editions and mixes them up.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Richard

Actually I think I might buy the box set. I can get it for $6, and I don't own any of the other films in the set. The review at Amazon says the other films look pretty good too.

Thanks again!

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Well, the box-set LEGENDS OF THE WEST is useful only for ONE-EYED JACKS.

The other titles are available in better quality from VCI. VCI cleaned up and restored the Alan LeMay western The Sundowners along with its brother film High Lonesome. Talky, but the vernacular is authentic, and colorful. The VCI editions are an absolute must if you collect good westerns.

I believe that Vengeance Valley and The Big Trees are also available in much better quality from VCI, or from Alpha.

As a reminder, the box-set does include a single-disc edition of ONE-EYED JACKS that is sourced from the laser-disc -- it even retains the Paramount logo 'fore and 'aft -- in acceptable and enjoyable widescreen quality.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Richard

Maybe I'll try my luck on the new cover Brentwood edition then and hope it is the same transfer.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

I bought the Brentwood some time ago and I don't agree that it is of acceptable quality. It may be better than some of the other versions out there but it still looks terrible with washed out color and poor definition in non-anamorphic widescreen.

willyTass

Supporting Actor
I spoke with Marlon Brando via seance last night

We asked him if a Directors cut of his 6 hour version of One Eyed Jacks would ever see light of day.

This is a transcript of what was said:

Brando: "where ya from Willard?..."
Willy: "Im from the home theatre forum sir"
Brando: "were you born there?"
Willy: "Yes sir"
Brando: "whereabouts"
Willy: "September o5 sir"

(creaking noise)

Brando: "which dvd do you want re-mastered?"
Willy: "one eyed jacks sir"
Brando: (reminiscing) "I outdid Kubrick once when I was a kid....there's a place in the picture, I can't remember, musta been the whipping seen or the rape seen..it's all thrown down on the cutting room floor now.."

Willy: "..but for about 6 hours you'd think your ego had descended on the earth, in the form of a Western?"

We lost contact at that stage.

He later agreed to supervise the restoration at a fee of $4,000,000 for 5 minutes work.

Later we asked Brando what he would say if Paramount's president of catalog marketing rejected the idea..

Brando: ".. go get the butter"

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W

Like I said above, cheap public domain editions are all we have to choose from. I was just trying to guide consumers toward the lesser of all evils, so to speak. I would love to see an authorized transfer, restored from original elements, but it's unrealistic to expect that. Again, don't expect too much and you won't be disappointed. The Brentwood or Front Row are certainly better than any other region 1 editions.

For a really good ONE-EYED JACKS, find Paramount's oop laser-disc and transfer that to a DVD-R.

Sean A

Stunt Coordinator
I just wonder why Paramount would want to put out it's own edition. The other studios have put out most of their Brando titles, with WB announcing a few for later this year.
The Paramount Laser Disc came out when there were other Public Domain versions floating around, and I would think a DVD version would do just as well as any "classic" title they've released

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W

In view of its cult status, and the intensity of interest in a decent edition, I think it would sell very well indeed. One-Eyed Jacks is a much-admired and extremely popular film. A proper transfer, perhaps with a commentary channel and a supplement of promotional art, would make a viable release. Look at how Paramount and Wayne Enterprises rescued McLintock! Their authorized edition all but stopped sales of the infererior public-domain edition because fans wanted to see it done right and were happy to pay a little more for it.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
They'll never do it.

willyTass, I'll swap you a Brentwood region 1 edition of ONE-EYED JACKS for the Australian edition of Lynch's LOST HIGHWAY, the one with extras. I'll send first.

willyTass

Supporting Actor
Can't twist your arm into a front row? ok I'll find the lost highway and PM you when I find it.

did ya get your PM??

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks