What's new

One Eyed Jacks on Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
According to Jeffrey Wells, Hollywood Elsewhere, the 4K restoration of ONE EYED JACKS is set for completion next month - with possible theatrical screenings following.

Really looking forward to this on Blu-ray!

WOW! This is a HUGE surprise, thanks Douglas!

For those not so familiar with his site here is a link to all his ONE EYED JACKS related articles:
http://www.hollywood-elsewhere.com/?s=one+eyed+jacks

Last edited:

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
That's what I presumed. I remember seeing N x NW at the Hall and marveling at the quality. Never absolutely certain of the format.

The only titles of which I'm aware, that definitely ran 35/8, were White and Strategic, which as I recall, was the first V production, but second to hit theaters.

Have you found definite data as to others?

I am not sure if this was a question about prints elsewhere, too but just in case I would like to add that at a collector I saw a frame of an 8-perf release print of THE BATTLE OF THE RIVER PLATE. I wouldn't be surprised if it ran only in the UK, I think the movie was very popular there.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Given that it was a collaboration between the Film Foundation and Universal was this scanned on the same equipment as Spartacus?

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I hope this gets a few cinema showings, & maybe a festival or two. Wow, there's a good chance of getting a great looking Blu-ray of both, One-Eyed Jacks & She Wore A Yellow Ribbon this year. Those two alone would make it a great release year for me. And to think, this time last year One-Eyed Jacks was a total lost cause!

Stefano B

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stefano
And talking about westerns, it would be great if Universal could do something with its Stewart/Mann titles: Winchester 73, Bend of the River, The Far Country. Eagerly waiting for those to hit blu-ray, along with my other favorite of the duo, The Naked Spur (Warner Archive, are you hearing me?)...

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Yeah, ditto the Stewart-Mann westerns. Way too long available only as mediocre DVD's. WINCHESTER has an HD master, which I've seen, and it looks pretty swell. The Universal color titles I've heard nothing about. I wouldn't be surprised, in view of the rate at which it is currently pumping out great catalog titles, if Warner Archive gave us NAKED SPUR, unless the elements are demanding a full restoration.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Guys, I am a really big fan of Tony Mann and I would love his western on Blu-ray but right now let's just be happy that we get what seemed impossible - a full blown high quality Blu-ray of One Eyed Jacks and in the end even the option for it to be released on UHD disc due to its high quality scan. Plus we will get a 4k DCP as I understand it and maybe some new 35mm prints, too.

This is it, no low quality quick job but an excellent job by as RAH calls it the new Universal and the Film Foundation - I still cannot believe that we will really get this! I hope that whoever releases ONE EYED JACKS to Blu-ray will bring it out with a few supplemental materials as there is a lot of interesting stories about the film, the last story being how somebody finally decided to do something about this very interesting Western by one of the greatest actors ever.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
ONE EYED JACKS is finally being released?!!!
Well, its about time.
Recently, I've been wondering when Brando was ever going to complete this project ;).

Last edited:

WadeM

Supporting Actor
Wonderful news! Can't believe that we'll finally get a great looking One Eyed Jacks!

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
For VistaVision it really needs a UHD release

It's good enough to show off the new format

I am not saying it won't happen but not sure how likely it is :)
In any case, count me in if we really get this in UHD and if we can get the proper grading in the UHD version, too!

john a hunter

Screenwriter
I am not sure if this was a question about prints elsewhere, too but just in case I would like to add that at a collector I saw a frame of an 8-perf release print of THE BATTLE OF THE RIVER PLATE. I wouldn't be surprised if it ran only in the UK, I think the movie was very popular there.
10 out of 10 Oliver.
It was shown at the Plaza in London in 8 perf. Although I didn't see it,I had an 8 perf clip from that print.
I believe it was the first showing of 8 perf there but may be wrong.
I hear the German BD is very good but surprisingly given its popularity in the UK,Plate doesn't seem to have been released there.

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
The Odeon in Leicester Square had a pair of Gaumont-Kalee VistaVision projectors and ran Rank VV presentations regularly in the '50's. The Plaza in Piccadilly Circus also had a VV installation and debuted with "Strategic Air Command".

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
It is great to hear from guys like you two, john a hunter and Stephen Pl!

Yes, I heard about the horizontal VV installations and about Rank being involved with Battle of the River Plate.
The German Blu-ray is pretty good by the way, as I remeber about on par in PQ wioth the BD of The Vikings which is also horizontal 35mm 8-perf.

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
The Odeon in Leicester Square had a pair of Gaumont-Kalee VistaVision projectors and ran Rank VV presentations regularly in the '50's. The Plaza in Piccadilly Circus also had a VV installation and debuted with "Strategic Air Command".

From "What's On in London" November 2nd, 1956:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
ONE EYED JACKS is finally being released?!!!
Well, its about time.
Recently, I've been wondering when Brando was ever going to complete this project ;).
Wait...where has it been confirmed that there will be a Blu-ray of this?

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
From "What's On in London" November 2nd, 1956:

Very interesting as there is no mention of a horizontal print running there, only the generic Vistavision logo that one would also have with standard 35mm prints. It is also interesting to again see the Technicolor logo when all the horizontal prints to my knowledge were on Eastman stock. Maybe they considered it too difficult to advertise and went for the safe and known way to do it. From what it looks like the horizontal prints dried up pretty fast after this, was there talk about problems with the horizontal presentations?

In any case it is a shame that these places did not continue to run horizontal prints for a much longer time. With a proper attachement they could also have run contact prints of Technirama and Super Technirama movies but then Super Technirama 70 had the surperior sound system so maybe it should have been preferred on those grounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks