One Episode DVD's @ Wal-Mart

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Website
www.joshuasplace.net
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I saw DVD's with one episode of the following shows at Wal-Mart yesterday. They were each 3.88. Does anyone think it's worth it? I might have bought one for 1.00, but for 3.88? Nope!

Gilligans Island
The Gilmore Girls
The Jetsons
The Flintstones
(and others)

Jon_p_s

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
I think they are a ripoff by themselves but I believe there is a coupon for the season set inside them.

Chad R

Cinematographer
Reaction score
Real Name
Chad Rouch
These are meant to get you to try a TV series cheaply, and then use the coupon included to basically get your money back towards the entire season set. It's an inexpensive way for someone to try a new series, like Gilmore Girls without having to plunk down $45.00.

Devin_C

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
Definitely worth it as a marketing tool. I'm strongly considering a couple of them if they show up in my area - I think there's one for Babylon 5, and it'd be nice to have the Gilligan's Island one, if only since it'll be the initial episodes where they get stranded.
I agree that it's a good chance to try out a new TV series or see if an old one holds up for you - I only wish more vendors would try that - we're not all on Netflix.

MarkHastings

Executive Producer
Reaction score
Hey, they started with 45's, then we got cassingle (i.e. cassette single), then we got CD single, so why not DVD singles?

Although the price isn't the greatest, especially after getting those FREE tv show episodes included in my cereal box.
Maybe they should give these away free with a certain $$$ of DVD movie purchases? That might make more sense.

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
Reaction score
What others did you see? None of the 3 Super Wally's in my area have them. Perhaps they'll get them.

Gord Lacey

Cinematographer
Reaction score
The coupon is for $5 off the box set.

Gord

David Lambert

Executive Producer
Reaction score
Here's our March news story about this. I had been looking for these to no avail in any store. What part of Wal-Mart did you find them in? Was it in the DVD/electronics area, or did they promote it in an aisle or up by the registers, or what?

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Actually most of these discs either contain a "2-hour" pilot film or a couple of episodes of the series, so they are more entertainment for your dollar than the initial post seems to indicate. So if you're curious about a series you haven't caught on TV you can own a TV movie or a couple of episodes for less than the price of a rental (or a cup of ChainStore Coffee or a pack of cigarettes in a lot of places) and get a coupon that gets you your money back if you decide to go for a season set later. Seems like a no-lose way to check a show out. You can always pass the disc along to someone else if the show turns out not to be your cup of tea.

Regards,

Joe

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frugalfart