What's new

One Computer - Windows XP - Dual Login Screens: How to configure OUTLOOK EMAIL FOR 2? (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Here's the situation....

I just installed Windows XP on a friend's computer.

I set it up so there are 2 separate login accounts.

Both wish to share the SAME Outlook Express email
program, but have separate email addresses.

Can it be set up so that both logins can access the
sane Outlook email program, have SEPARATE accounts
and even the possibility of privacy from looking
through each other's email?

Please instruct proper setup

....and thanks in advance

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
I'm not sure if Outlook Express works the same way as the full Outlook program, but in Outlook XP it's set up for multiple users out of the box. When you set up a new user in Windows, it creates a new .pst file for that user and when you open Outlook for the first time in that new user account, you have to go through the whole program setup again. You have complete privacy (unless you purposely open the other users .pst file through your user account, but that can't be accidental).

I've never tried Outlook Express, so it may not work the same way.

****Edit****

I just tried this on my Win2000 machine here at work and Outlook Express does work the same way. Just set up your first user account the way you want it, then log into your other account (not sure, but you may have to close Outlook in the account you just finished for it to open for the other user) and just open the program and it'll start up just like you've never used it before. It'll prompt you for your account info and set up your folders for you again for this user.
Again, this is in Win2000, but in XP it should work exactly the same.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
What Mike LS said. :)

Outlook Express stores its info in the Documents and Settings folder for each user, so each login gets its own "instance" of Outlook Express data--mailboxes, address book, account info, etc. So if you log in as the second user and launch Outlook Express, it should set itself up from "scratch" again for that user.

KJP

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks