One channel bad on PM7000?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by John Garcia, Jul 6, 2005.

1. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Last week, while listening at a low background music level, one of my speakers popped a few times and then seemed to go silent on my Marantz PM-7000. I adjusted the balance and found that the left channel had not died, but was only at about 1/4 of it's normal output. I swapped in another pair of speakers and they exhibited the same thing and the speakers that were on the integrated worked fine in my main system, so I'm pretty sure it is the amp. Anyone had something like this happen? There was no burnt smell or smoke. I looked through the vents with a flash light and I don't see anything obviously damaged. The other channel works fine (it's a dual monoblock design).

I called the shop where I bought it and they said it would take 2 MONTHS to get repaired, because it has to be shipped back east. They offered to let me trade it in against a newer model, paying only the difference, but I can also get something like a NAD C320BEE for just a little more than that. Do the NAD integrateds have a remote? The 7000 has a remote and I can use that remote and my main system remotes interchangeably.

2. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

John

I never had a problem quite like that. You really like Marantz. Did you decide yet?

Arthur

3. John Garcia

John
    No, I started checking around and found a near-by dealer for Cambridge Audio and the price is pretty nice for the Azur 540A, so I'm going to drop by and give it a listen this weekend. I like the fact that these amps have a protection circuit built in that will disconnect the speakers in the event of an amplifier fault (one of my speakers was damaged when the amp had the issue, I had to replace one of the midbass drivers).

I am a big Marantz fan, but my 2ch rig is for experimenting - I use it to test out various speakers, and I think this might be a good excuse to try something new in terms of amplification there [​IMG]

What really sucks is, I just sold our old SR-5000 the week before because it was just sitting around doing nothing...

4. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

The timing just, well, sucked.

The Azur looks good.

I did an experiment almost 10 years ago on the sound of 4 different receivers. A Pioneer, an expensive Yamaha, a Nakamichi, and a Denon. The Nakamichi had the most natural sound of them all. The sound of real insturments was simply more natural than the others. Some of the stuff I read in the high end rags about harmonic correctness started to make a little sense. Good luck on the RE2.

The Denon AVR-2500 came in a close second. The amps in this thing really have some slam.

I haven't had the heart to part with either the Nak or the Denon. They just make excellent bedroom and office units, and with pre-ins, make for a lot of high quality channels of amplification for other uses.

5. John Garcia

John
    Well, they gave me a great deal, so I ordered the PM7200 from the shop when I brought in the PM7000. I did not get a chance to go listen to the 540A, but I will this week, and then decide if I will sell PM7200 new in box and pick up the 540A or not, since the 540A costs less than the 7200.

6. EvanW

EvanW Stunt Coordinator

I doubt that u care but id just like to say the amp u ordered is very nice. Good internals is all i can say.

Have Fun!

7. John Garcia

John
    I do care. Class A for the first 25w sounds nice to me. I'm sure it is nicer than the 7000 it is replacing, and I am curious to hear it, and that will likely get the better of me and I will have to pull it out of the box to give it a listen [​IMG]

8. John Garcia

John
    Update:

I got the PM7200 in the other day. I didn't get to fire it up until yesterday. It looks nearly identical to my 7000, with the exception of one button - the Class A one [​IMG] I wasn't expecting a difference, but man was I surprised. In class A operation, this thing sounds pretty amazing. The sound is cleaner and more detailed. Bass seems more controlled and tight. I'm impressed. I've never owned a Class A amp, and there's no mistaking the additional heat; this guy gets HOT. So, most likely I'll be keeping this guy. [​IMG]

9. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Sounds great John.

Once you have heard the buzz about class A, it is something that is hard to just forget about.

I can see it now. You will be looking for some class A monoblocks. Pass Aleph is nice.