What's new

One cable to rule them all: Light Peak (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
So I drove an hour north, bought the goddamn $50 cable, drove home, burned my windows ISO and started bootcamp.
Huh, the drive doesn't show as a valid target for bootcamp. Let's research this a bit:
7. If I have more than one hard drive, can I install Microsoft Windows on any drive?
You can use Boot Camp to install Windows on any internal hard drive, but not on an external hard drive.
32598f77_ffffuuuu.png

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Engadget reviews the SSD version ($900) and find that it's expensive and fast, duh.
http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/08/lacie-little-big-disk-thunderbolt-ssd-review/
No mention of it being unsuitable as a bootcamp drive.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
For $900 you could buy a new Windows PC and KVM swtich, and probably have money left over for pizza. :)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
While Sam won't want to think of it this way:

2 120GB Intel SSDs = $214 my price local; so $428. I can get a Raid-0/Raid-1 USB3.0 Enclosure for $132... and it includes the cable. So, $560. Counting the cable here, you're at almost 1k.. the difference could basically buy me a mini-PC with a USB3.0 port...

I have no idea who the target audience is for a 240GB RAID external that's 1K.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
No USB 3 =(
http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/09/belkin-details-thunderbolt-express-dock/
Bigger RAID from LaCie:
http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/08/lacie-announces-2big-esata-thunderbolt-storage-options/

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
With USB3 external drives on the shelves of BestBuy (bought one yesterday), and nothing Thunderbolt in sight (or affordable)...why is there no USB3 on the Mac? I'd love to speed up my backups 10x, but that seems impractical even with a new Mac.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
From what I have read, the general consensus on USB 3 on Apple's gear is that when the current generation of hardware was designed/released, Intel's chipsets didn't offer USB 3 support and apparently Apple didn't feel the need to add it via a 3rd party solution.

We will see what happens when the next batch of hardware gets updated.

-KeithP

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Ars did a story on ThunderBolt news from CES.
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2012/01/will-2012-be-thunderbolts-year-devices-arrive-in-force-at-ces.ars

-Keith

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Yeah this part definitely makes sense as to the stall:

We also heard that there are potential intellectual property issues associated with licensing Thunderbolt that has some vendors leery about Thunderbolt. We weren't able to learn what the specific issues are, but we heard similar complaints from another source last year shortly after Thunderbolt was unveiled by Apple and Intel. Hopefully those issues can be resolved; the vendors we spoke to are anxious to get their product ideas in the pipeline as they expect Thunderbolt adoption to grow significantly in the coming year.

Some good devices shown.. but still, it's a trickle. Thunderbolt may be a superior product, but it's cost per consumer is still not enough to make it a breakthrough product.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
The ONLY way I will pay a price premium for an SSD thunderbolt drive is if Apple relents and lets you put Bootcamp on external drives which is currently not permitted by OSX. This is a terrible and dumb decision on Apple's part, and I hope they fix this soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks