What's new

One cable from Receiver to back speakers or use a wall plate for a cleaner look? (1 Viewer)

MikeBoehm

Stunt Coordinator
Howdy,

I was at my local Menards (Home Improvement store) and saw some wall plates that have speaker ports on them. I'm not sure what quality they are (Maganavox brand). Is it better to just run a single cable from the receiver, up the wall, across the ceiling and to the speaker or will I not notice much different if I run the wires to the speakers and end them at a wall plate and then plug the wire from the receive into the wall plate.

Only reason would be to make it look cleaner with a plate than having cables sticking out of the walls.

Thanks,
--Mike

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
You can have both.

Start by running un-broken speaker wire from your receiver through a electrical wall-outlet box that you install, then out of another outlet box at the back of the room to the rear speakers. Buy blank outlet-box covers and drill holes and thread the wire through the holes.

This looks very neat & professional.

Later, you can buy the outlet-covers with the binding posts and cut the wires back and attach them to the posts if you want to do this.

Remember to run 3 sets of speaker wires to the rear to allow for a rear-center speaker.

I doubt you could notice any difference in the sound quality between the un-broken run and using the binding posts. But the fewer breaks are better because:

- the less likely something will come loose
- less copper is exposed to air which will oxidize

Note: a company called Niles makes some very good outlet covers in colors, and with 2/4/6/8 binding posts.

Good Luck.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
well keeping in mind that the wires in the wall should meet code, it's six of one, 1/2 dozen of the other. you could consider some kind of grommet in the wall if you wanted a straight run. but i agree, the wall plate is elegant. Seems to work pretty good for phones doesn't it?

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I am in the process of doing this right now, and also running that rear centre even though I am not yet equipped to play it. I will go with the blank wall plates and drill a hole, doing a direct connect to the rear speakers.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I might also suggest running some RG6 coax to the rear. This can later be used for a subwoofer, or to drive an amp to run tactile-transducers attached to your couch. RG6 coax is cheap/easy to find.

When it comes to in-wall wire, more is nearly always better. You will never regret the $$ you spend on the wire just sitting there waiting for your next upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks