One bad thing about the advent of DVD...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DeathStar1, Nov 28, 2002.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

My sister has discovered it and refuses to rent VHS anymore.
    Ordinarilly, this wouldn't bug me. But something about the fact that I'm being kicked out of my own living room while watching a disc on a player I bought, so my sister and her boyfriend can watch some chick flick movie, bugs me to no end. That, and I put my old DVD Rom drive on her computer for just this situation, and she never uses the damned thing... :/
    Anyone else experience this situation? I need to find a way to get them back to VHS, so they can watch the TV on the portch or something, and I can see my stuff in peace [​IMG].

2. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    move your DVD player to the porch and use that TV instead? [​IMG]
    sounds like you just need to have a good chat with your sister. if it's your living room, your DVD player (and I assume your TV), you should get "dibs". worked in my house when I was still living with my siblings, they usually vacated the living room if I wanted to watch something. now that I'm married and living with my wife, it's a somewhat different proposition though... [​IMG]

3. AllanN

AllanN Supporting Actor

Buy her a DVD player for christmass. Problem solved.

4. Moe Maishlish

Moe Maishlish Supporting Actor

Very simple,
    [smartass]
    Sister - "Yo Bro, Johnny and I rented 'The YaYa Sisterhood was Sleepless in Seattle when Harry Met Sally', and need to use your DVD player. Can you stop watching 'Lord of the Rings' so we can watch our movie?"
    Brother - "No."
    Problem solved! [​IMG]
    [/smartass]
    Moe.

5. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

>>move your DVD player to the porch and use that TV instead? [​IMG]
    >>
    Heh, one problem. It's freezing in the winter time since there's no heat on the porch [​IMG].

6. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

>Problem solved! [​IMG]>
    Already tried that [​IMG]. Spent a good two minutes trying to 'fight' my way out of it by pulling her out of the rooom by her jacket sleeve. Didn't work [​IMG].
    So, I took the multifunction remote, and was going to take the batteries out of the DVD player remote untill she beat me too it, heh.

7. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

8. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Mm. Seems now you simply HAVE to buy that newest type DVD player and stuff for your own bedroom.
    Perhaps your sister/parents are willing to offer a donation?
    To keep the peace, etc.?
    Or else she can buy a cheap one for her bedroom? Or isn't her boyfriend allowed in there [​IMG]?
    You need two DVD-players in the house! At least.
    Cees

9. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

>Or isn't her boyfriend allowed in there ?>
    Bingo [​IMG]. That, and big brother over protectivness would kick in with a situation like that as well, making sure to stay up as long as they do untill it leaves [​IMG]...
    I'm also guessing the reason they don't use the one I put on their comp, is because the screen is too small. Maby a comfy chair and a bigger monitor is in order...

10. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Buy her boyfriend a DVD player for Xmas, maybe they'll go to his shack instead? Or does he live in a dump..
    I'm sorta in the same situation as you except I have a $4k theater in the basement and since I'm still living at home (student) the room is shared with my brother and sister. They love to watch the dumb reality shows on MTV which we fight and bicker over and I usually end up winning considering 100% of the equipment is mine. But legalities aside, they're still family and it can be hard to take control, especailly when they bring friends over. Can't be a jerk in front of them ya know. [​IMG]
    If it's really a problem (be honest with yourself, her watching a 2-hour movie once or twice a week isn't that bad), move your gear to your personal space like your room.