What's new

"Once Upon ... West" cover art - will it survive? (1 Viewer)

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
Many of you have probably seen the cover art for the European release of the Once Upon A Time in the West special edition (posted on The Digital Bits earlier today):

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#onceeng

I'm sure many will agree with Bill Hunt that it's a great, noggin-free cover. But for that very reason, anyone care to lay bets on whether it will make it onto the U.S. release? Come on, Paramount, do the right thing.

Either way, I'm greatly anticipating this title.

--Jefferson Morris

Bill Hunt

Insider
Hey Johnny,

No offense, and I appreciate what you're trying to do, but linking to artwork on our site WITHOUT letting people go there for themselves is a problem for us. We still have to pay the bandwidth charges for the art, even though no one ends up visiting The Bits. So I'd apprecate it if you didn't do that anymore. I think you'll find most sites feel the same way.

In any case, we definitely hope Paramount keeps this art. Perhaps the more people here who agree and speak their minds, Paramount will get the message.

Best!

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I've seen the art for R1 release and it is not the same. It's quite lousy by comparison. I'll see if I can somehow make a scan and post it. It definitely has one or two noggins on the front (I don't have it in front of me at the moment).

Jeff

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
That is really some of the best cover art I've seen for any DVD release. It would be awesome if they kept it.

Jon Sheedy

Stunt Coordinator
As I was clicking on this thread to see the artwork, I was thinking about the image that I'd love to see on the cover of this disc....killers with rifles, longcoats twisting in the wind....and THERE IT WAS. Beautifully done...everything about it is perfect.

Man, I sure hope we get this classy design. How could they NOT use this as R1 art?!

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
The Euro OUATITW cover is a work of art that exemplifies the feel of the film:
PARAMOUNT, please use it!-It just looks so damn......COOL!

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
I'm half anticipating that Paramount will dump that GREAT looking sepia artwork for some crappy lesser cover with a couple of faces on it. The artwork shown above (and at The Bits) would likely be considered too sophisticated for some - it's cool, stylish and memorable, which I'm sure some corporate suits would regard as a problem. I've got it - if they dumb it down and stick a couple of faces on the front (ala 80% or more of most movie posters these days) brain-dead consumers will know who is in it without having to read any text. Even better, if they stick a "Two thumbs up!" quote on it somewhere people will suspect that it's a good movie.

Arggh - sorry to be bitter, but a cover like the above is almost too good to be true, and I think many of us are familiar with classy cover art being featured on Euro releases while Region 1 editions get 'dumbed down' graphics in order to avoid something or other... Sincere apologies to Paramount for my sarcasm above if the above artwork does end up being used - you'd hope that the efforts of all those who worked on such a stylish Special Edition would be capped with an elegant cover presentation - but, as with some others in this thread, I'm dreading an eventual post here where someone links the genuine upcoming Region 1 art, and it turns out to be infinitely less appealing than the worthy design depicted above. Paramount, do us all a favour and use that sepia art and slipcase design for your Region 1 edition, please.

JosephVales

Auditioning
Paramount will change it because they absolutely HAVE to have that Paramount Widescreen Collection banner at the top, and then they will use some crappy art that will give no sense of emotion that I am sure the movie has (I haven't seen Once upon a time in the West yet).

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor
Please use this cover art!!! I get the feeling that they'll stick a picture of Charles Bronson's and Henry Fonda's head.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
That is quite simply some of the worst artwork ever. I hope that they put a couple of faces, because I don't even know who is in this movie. What about that artwork would make me want to buy it?:D :D

I thought that maybe a little reverse psychology might work!!:D

Seriously, that is one of the greatest DVD covers that I've ever seen.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
This gets my vote as the BEST cover art of the year.:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Martin if you are reading this thread may I suggest you use this art work in the States. It is beautiful!

BYW: Eric, Please don't make light of the "Dumbing Down of America" it has become quite a serious problem among educated people.

RussR

Stunt Coordinator
An absolutely perfect cover for this film. For such a special edition as this, I hope the marketing folks can be persuaded to forgo their usual practice.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
The cover to the LD and VHS is a rather------poorly rendered fake airbrush looking noggin-job-that has a sort of "paint-by-numbers cereal-box art" look about it.
Im sure it was fine for the time.
Just like UNIVERSAL ditched their tiresome cliche of a logo on Laserdiscs for full cover-art, maybe Paramount can bend with the wind on this one- a classic film with an enimgmatic, stylish classic/classy cover.......

Perhaps we start a 'use the European cover' campaign- no?

Robert Wainwright

Stunt Coordinator
This might be the best example of how cover can actually sell a movie. Simple and to the point. A true representation of the film.

Peter???

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I think we stand a better chance at opriginal artwork with Paramount than we do from any other studio.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks