What's new

Once Upon A Time in the West question (1 Viewer)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
At the end of this film, the guy with the beard dies after leaving the woman's house with "Harmonica." I didn't catch who shot him and when... can someone clear this up for me?

Allan Petersen

Stunt Coordinator
IIRC, Cheyenne was shot when he attacked Morton's train. We don't see the actual attack, only Frank finding Morton just before he dies (after the attack by Cheyenne).

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Huh... so he got shot in the abdomen, in a gunfight, rode back to spend some quality platonic time with a woman, all seemingly fine, than quietly rode away to die.

Suspension of disbelief... gotta love it.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
In the commentary, they mentioned that he looked paler. I personally didn't notice. :)

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
At the end, in his last conversation with Harmonica, Cheyenne says something like "I ran into Mr. Choo-Choo" when we first see that he's wounded. In the earlier ambush scene aboard the train, Cheyenne referred to Morton as Mr. Choo-Choo, so as others have said, we can presume that Morton was able to shoot him in the big battle that took place off-screen aboard the train.

Scotty_McW

Second Unit
I thought that when Frank shoots at Harmonica and misses, that bullet hit Cheyenne. It never occurred to me that maybe he was shot earlier. I've only seen it twice though.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
When Cheyenne dies, offscreen, it's a pause in Ennio Morricone's music (Cheyenne's theme) that lets us know the moment he expires.
One of my all time favorite westerns and music scores, superb.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Oh, Mr Choo-choo, that's what he says...

I guess this is what happens when I split a movie over three viewings...:frowning:

Haggai

Senior HTF Member

Huh? Even though Cheyenne was indoors with Jill, and shaving, while Frank and Harmonica had their final showdown?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yeah, Mr. Choo-choo. You will notice that Cheyenne, sometimes known as Jason Robards, but apparently known as "the guy with the beard" even though by that point he has basically shaved it off (sorry Mike, I couldn't resist) is hunched over and moving pretty slow from the time he arrives back at Sweetwater. Watch him as he looks at Harmonica (also known as the guy without the beard) when he first arrives.

"I didn't expect that half-man away from the train"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swethaJK
Recent bookmarks