Once Upon a Time in Mexico-three pack?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Chris Bardon, Jan 13, 2004.

1. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

So I stayed away from the Mariachi/Desperado double pack that came out last year because I figured that there'd be an inevitable three pack out once OOATIM made it out. I haven't seen anything to indicate a release though-any idea if something like this is actually planned? I suppose that there's really no adding to to boatloads of extras that are already there though...I guess what I'm trying to figure out is whether I should get the 2 pack while I still can, or wait for something better.

2. Drew Reiber

Drew Reiber Supporting Actor

Well, it doesn't seem like Sony wants to package El Mariachi with Mexico. The only options they make available are El Mariachi/Desperado or Desperado/Mexico, so you're probably best off getting the El Mariachi/Desperado set. Then just pick up Mexico when it comes out with it's just-released discount price.

3. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

I'll bet there will be a 3 pack, as much as I love RR, that company double dips so much with his Desperado movies it is unreal.

4. ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA Screenwriter

Question: Is it true that the recent SE's of Desperado and El Mariachi are the same thing as the previous Director Double feature?
    It looks like the only difference was the addedOnce upon a time preview.
    I'm mainly interested in knowing if it's the same transfer?
    Thanks.

5. Greg_C_T

Greg_C_T Second Unit

From what I remember, the transfer and audio for the recent Mariachi/Desperado SE's (not to mention the Superbit) were different. They've certainly dipped the heck out of Desperado. We have:

Original release
    Director's Double Feature
    Superbit
    Special Edition

I've got the Double Feature, and would like better audio/video, but can't bring myself to double-dip.

6. Jake Johnson

Jake Johnson Second Unit

Best Buy is running a deal on its website that has the 2-pack of El Mariachi and Desperado Special Editions along with OATIM for $25. I am tempted to buy this, but I have a feeling that there will be a 3-pack sometime soon. And then new special editions of all 3 in another 3-pack. and then Superbits of all 3 in yet another 3-pack.

7. ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA Screenwriter

I decided to pick up the 2 pack, got it at the BB special with OUATIM. I read a few reviews of the SE and most seem to agree that it they're better than the dble feature.
    I figured I may give the dble feature to my Dad, I never really cared for the dble sided disk....

8. James W. Johnson

James W. Johnson Screenwriter

How is the film transfer on the 2-pack of El Mariachi and Desperado that Best Buy is offering at a discount? Is the Superbit version of Desperado quite abit better?

9. Jough

Jough Stunt Coordinator

The Best Buy deal is for the SEs of El Mariachi and Desperato, not the Superbit.

I haven't seen the Superbit so I can't comment on its transfer, but the SE has a very nice picture (it's significantly improved from the double sided Double Feature release).

I don't know if it's worth the double-dip unless you're very much a fan of the films, since the extras are, I believe, all the same (except the SE of Desperado has a preview of OUTIM on it).