What's new

Once Upon a Time in Mexico in theaters in 5 weeks but DVD already planned for January (1 Viewer)

Johnny G

Supporting Actor
These short windows are getting ridiculous, 4 months from theaters to DVD when they don't even know how this will perform at the box office.

I like it that way but I just think they're jumping the gun, unless the preview response has been that bad.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Most DVD releases are planned months *before* the film opens theatrically. Finding Nemo's street date was probably set back in January, well before the theatrical release.

Quint van der Vaart

Second Unit
Studio's need to plan way in adcance if they want their product to be released when they want to.
They need to produce the dvd and get that to the duplicationfactory and then plan a marketing for the disc.
Every title that is released this summer has already got a dvdrelease date set and when the studio is ready to release that info they will........it's all planning !

Blu

Screenwriter
I think it is extremely encouraging.
With the filmmakers becoming more and more involved in the dvd process this can mean nothing but good things for dvd enthusiasts!

It shows lots and lots of foresite in the planning stages of the dvd even when the film is in production.

Johnny G

Supporting Actor
All I'm saying is to leek such an early DVD release date 5 weeks before the theatrical release could affect the box office figures.

I realise how long it takes to plan a DVD and the earlier that planning starts, the more involved the filmmakers can get but besides it's possible adverse impact on ticket sales, I'm just surprised they'd schedule it so soon before seeing the public's reaction and possible theatrical longevity.

BTW, this isn't the only film this is happening to, the same rumor applies to Underworld.

The forward planning is inevitable. Afterall, Disney pencilled in the DVD release dates for most of it's Summer movies in the Spring but they were all the usual 5-7 months after theater except Spy Kids 3-D, which for some reason was almost 8 months!

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
It's good - means that the DVD can be sold while the film is still fresh in peoples' minds and there is still a 'buzz' surrounding the film.

But I'm not a big fan of commentaries and how-they-did-that featurettes on brand-new films with no cultural legacy yet, but others do, and it's great for them. As long as there's a choice for everyone, then no one can complain... hopefully! :D

Gordy

Johnny G

Supporting Actor
Personally Gordon, I'm with you on both accounts but is it good for the movie? I'd love to see a movie on DVD as soon as it drops from the Box Office top 10 and as far as making ofs & commentaries, I'd watch/listen to them for my all time fave movie but that's about it.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
So is the DVD going to be from Columbia or Dimension? Either way, the trailer for this thing rocks; I hope it is included on the disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.