Once Upon a Time in Mexico Details (including OAR discussion, past and present)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by TomWoodward, Nov 10, 2003.

1. TomWoodward

TomWoodward Second Unit

Hey All

Sorry I haven't posted news on here in a while - keep getting distracted by things! Hopefully this will make up for it...details on Once Upon a Time in Mexico. It will be available to own from the 20th January next year and should retail at around $28.95. Disc specs and artwork are attached below:

1.78:1 Anamorphic Widescreen Transfer
    English Dolby Digital 5.1
    French Dolby Surround Track
    Audio Commentary with Director Robert Rodriguez
    Ten-Minute Cooking School Feature
    Ten-Minute Flick School Feature
    Various Deleted Scenes
    The Anti-Heroes Journey Feature
    The Good the Bad and the Bloody (Effects) Featurette
    Film is Dead: An Evening with Robert Rodriguez Feature
    Inside Troublemaker Studios Feature
    DVD-ROM Features (Shooting Gallery)

[​IMG]

2. Travis_W

Travis_W Supporting Actor

I hope this is just a mistake and not another Recruit waiting to happen but this film was presented in 2.35:1 widescreen...not 1.78:1.

Please say that's just a mistake.

3. Jake Johnson

Jake Johnson Second Unit

I hope they do a boxed set of all 3 films.

4. Travis_W

This better be in it's OAR, this is the only Rodriguez movie filmmed in 2.35:1 and it's not going to be shown that way outside of a theater. I hope this is just a mistake. If not, there's no way I'm purchasing it. I saw this film 3 seperate times and every time I noticed something more in the frame, opening it up would just compromise it.

5. Jon Mercer

Jon Mercer Second Unit

That picture of Depp on the cover always makes me think of Michael Jackson...

6. Travis_W

DVDFILE posted the same news. Looks like this is MAR, modified aspect ratio. Well, no sale for me.

7. Geoff_D

Geoff_D Supporting Actor

It may be MAR on dvd, but the 2.35:1 theatrical version I saw was cropped far too tightly at the top of the frame, removing half of people's heads and so on. Other people - in the UK at least - reported seeing the same thing at different screenings up and down the country. So if the movie gets a bit more head room on dvd then that's no bad thing, even if it does go against the ethos of this forum. Was it similarly 'tight' at US screenings I wonder? The movie itself is utter shite, and I won't be buying the dvd, but I'm always intrigued when a director decides to permanently modify the theatrical ratio of their film for home viewing.

8. Douglas*A*R

Douglas*A*R Stunt Coordinator

Is this going to be a direct digital-to-digital transfer, or film-to-digital?

For those unaware, Rodriguez shot the movie with HD cams.

9. Douglas*A*R

Douglas*A*R Stunt Coordinator

Geoff_D, I believe that the director altered the AR with "The Recruit", so it wouldn't be precedent setting if it also happened here.

Also, IMDB entry for OUATIM doesn't indicate any difference in the AR for the UK (or any other country for that matter).

10. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

Rodriguez probably shot this in HD with the same "Super35" framing technique as with 35 mm film. That doesn't justify showing it around 1.78:1, though. Perhaps Rodriguez doesn't like the black bars (why, I wouldn't know). But he has come out with some strange cinematic ideas along the lines of Lucas in the past when it comes to his "hard on" for digital HD filmmaking (even though the current HD pro-cameras still can't do more than 1080p/24), so nothing surprises me too much.

We still don't know for sure that the director of The Recruit gave his blessing to the MAR'd DVD in the U.S. (other regions got it in the OAR of 2.35:1) For all we know it could have been more studio BS.

Dan

11. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

12. Mark Palermo

Mark Palermo Second Unit

Are we sure this isn't just a misprint in the press release?

13. Travis_W

If Rodriguez doesn't like the black bars then he shouldn't have let Columbia show it in scope. I had a strange feeling about this DVD since the movie came out, just a gut feeling that something would happen...

14. Geoff_D

Geoff_D Supporting Actor

15. Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck Screenwriter

Bryan Tuck
    I actually haven't seen this film yet, and if it was intended to be 2.35:1, then it really should be presented that way on DVD. However, I did see a scope trailer for the film, and I remember thinking how tight the framing looked at the top and bottom; in fact, I thought it looked pretty bad. Since I knew Rodriguez usually used the flat ratio, and because of how the scope trailer looked, I assumed the movie itself would be 1.85:1. I was really surprised when I found out it was scope.

I just hope that it is presented the way Rodriguez wants it on DVD. As others have suggested, he does seem to care about this a lot, so maybe we can get an official word from him soon.

16. Tom_Bechet

Tom_Bechet Second Unit

just to correct one thing:
    Dan

17. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

In the T3 thread, people are saying that the main reason for supporting OAR is because it is what the director intended.

Now, when the director, who made the film, operated the camera, edited it, personally filmed every scene in the film, decides he wants to change the aspect ratio, people are upset?

Rodriguez knows more about digital filmmaking and aspect ratios than anyone here. I would trust him about this.

Besides, this isn't a Sergio Leone film that has been around for years. It is a shot on digital film that played theatres for a few weeks and more people will see on DVD than saw in the theatres. He most likely intended to do this from the beginning.

18. Tom_Bechet

Tom_Bechet Second Unit

If he did thenh that's just fine. What most won't accept is the studio deciding that 1.78 should be the norm to apease. balckbar haters.

19. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

20. Travis_W

Yeah I'm starting to think about this too. It's his movie and if he wants to change the ratio he has the right to do so. Columbia wouldn't have done this without his permission. As long as I'm still seeing what I saw in the theater I'm buying.