What's new

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (2019) (1 Viewer)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
This is the strangest thing I have seen. On the paper it sounds like a terrible terrible idea. On the screen the trailer looks like a comedy which again sounds terrible. This does not compute! :wacko:

Well, I like Tarantino films because the dialogue is generally really good/fun and they are typically well shot and edited. In terms of "ideas" though, Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, and Jackie Brown were it. Following those he was basically out of ideas and began to just be a guy that wrote fun dialogue. His "ideas" were always taken from other things anyway. The thing he wanted to do was watch things other people came up with and then create the dialogue he wanted to hear those characters say.

That's basically his thing. It's certainly still fun to me because whereas most films today come at you with a focus on the action, the CGI, or goofball one liners and situations...in a Tarantino picture the big moments are crazed monologues delivered by oddball characters.

His main interest seems to be revenge. I think where people called Hitchcock the "master of suspense" Quentin wanted to become the "master of revenge."

The thing is though his revenge tales are not "masterfully" done. They tend to be asinine and ridiculous but saved by the dialogue, music, and humor. They also tend to be presented in incredibly poor taste...which he revels in. With pictures like Inglourious Basterds, Django Unchained, and The Hateful Eight he seems to be composing from the perspective of an angry, confused, 15 year old boy.

My first guess when I learned he was including the Manson clan and Sharon Tate in this was that instead of Tate and her unborn child getting brutally slaughtered that he was going to turn the tables again and have Tate and maybe the Pitt character slaughter the Manson family, including Charlie. That would be as typically ridiculous as the slaughters in Basterds, Django, and Hateful Eight. Or the Tate slaughter happens in this and then Leo and Brad go on a crazed killing spree offing Charlie and the Manson family.

However, I also thought maybe he thought of that and knew that would make him all too predictable. So, who knows what he will do. I am kind of hoping that the picture is more a love letter to his favorite period of filmmaking more than another silly bloodbath revenge joke.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Pulp Fiction is QT’s high water mark, and it’s highly unlikely he’ll reach that mark with this or any other upcoming project he works on. Jackie Brown and Inglorious Basterds are a level below
Pulp, and are excellent films.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I thought It was somewhat dull, the writing wasn’t as good and some of the performances, like Grier’s, were a bit weak.

I mean I still like the film, but it’s not a great Tarantino film I revisit often like his other ones.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I thought It was somewhat dull, the writing wasn’t as good and some of the performances, like Grier’s, were a bit weak.

I mean I still like the film, but it’s not a great Tarantino film I revisit often like his other ones.
Fair enough as I think Pulp Fiction is overrated.

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas

Fair enough as I think Pulp Fiction is overrated.
Interesting.
Pulp Fiction is my second favorite movie from QT (Kill Bill, especially Vol.1, is my favorite) right up in terms of my rating of his movies are IB and JB.

For those who care:
1. Kill Bill -> 10/10
2. Pulp Fiction -> 9,5/10
3. Inglourious Basterds -> 9,5/10
4. Jackie Brown -> 9,5/10
5. Reservoir Dags -> 9/10
6. The Hateful Eight -> 9/10
7. Django Unchained -> 8,5/10
8. Death Proof -> 8/10

Collaborations:
Sin City -> 9/10
Four Rooms -> 8,5/10

So not one of his films I do consider as bad let alone mediocre. :)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
EDIT: a snippet of the video SamT posted

possible minor spoiler

Pissed! I love that he doesn't deal with BS on any level when interviewed:lol:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
So the 10th and final Tarantino film will be.........Star Trek?

:emoji_blush:

I’m not playing along with Tarantino’s bizarre numerical gaslighting of his audience. He’s already made ten films. As long as an individual is required to purchase two tickets/discs/digital copies to watch Kill Bill, it’s two films. Even if he combines them now, it was originally two films. It’s perhaps irrational that it bothers me, but it does.

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
I’m not playing along with Tarantino’s bizarre numerical gaslighting of his audience. He’s already made ten films. As long as an individual is required to purchase two tickets/discs/digital copies to watch Kill Bill, it’s two films. Even if he combines them now, it was originally two films. It’s perhaps irrational that it bothers me, but it does.

I think he considers it a single film because he wrote and shot it as one film and it was Miramax who decided it would be split up into two releases six months apart.

Double ‘Kill’ bill
https://variety.com/2003/film/markets-festivals/double-kill-bill-1117889372/

Is Kill Bill One Movie, Or Two?
https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2455907/is-kill-bill-one-movie-or-two

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
My wallet says it was two films.

Filmmaker intentions are great and I am supportive of them, but reality counts for something too... and the reality here is that as much as Tarantino might have intended to make just one film, two films were in fact released.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
It’s perhaps irrational that it bothers me, but it does.

The answer is that he originally made it as one film, but when Mirimax (effectively, Harvey Weinstein) decided to cut it in half, it became two films, and therefore is two.

If the discrepancy bothers you, blame Harvey Weinstein. This is the least of his alleged crimes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks