Once Upon A Time In China Hing Kong Legends

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by NickRHave, Feb 5, 2002.

1. NickRHave

NickRHave Agent

I was going to get this dvd but I read that the Hong Kong legends version does not use the original language track. Does anyone know if this is true? Also, is it worth getting the Hong Kong Legends version or should I get the R1 version? Please help.

2. NickRHave

NickRHave Agent

I Meant Hong Kong legends in my subject. Sorry

3. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

Well, I haven't seen the HKL version, but I can tell you to run from the R1 version--it's damn near unwatchable. It's an anamorphic transfer, but the print used in the transfer was very poor with lots of dirt, scratches, etc. Also, EE is liberally applied to just about everything on screen. If you have any kind of decent sized display, you'll most likely have a headache within the first 20 minutes. However, if you have a smaller (27" and under) set, you might be OK--I was until I upgraded to a Tosh 50H81. I just sold my copies of OUTIC 1 and 2 as they were just taking up space in my rack. Can't tell you how disappointed I am, as these are two of my favorite HK flicks. I will say, however, that the commentary by Ric Meyers is very entertaining. Rent them if you can, but don't waste money buying the R1 versions.

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

The HKLegends disc does contain the Cantonese, in 5.1 to boot.

5. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

I'm actually not terribly bothered by the lack of an original language track--as long as it's in either Mandarin or Cantonese. Many Hong Kong movies have dialogue recorded separately and added in post. As a result, lip synching is always an issue.

However, having grown up watching many movies from Hong Kong, this doesn't seem to bother me (as opposed to English or any other language being dubbed in). This is really weird because I'm extremely sensitive to lip synch problems when it's in English.

6. Jeff Kleist

95% of Hong Kong films have an OSL of Cantonese. In recent years they have started to shoot sync sound, and it's a world of difference in production values.

7. Michael Eriksen

Michael Eriksen Stunt Coordinator

The HKL legends disc have the original language.

And the picture quality is very good, as it is with all HKL movies.

I own them all, and have yet to be disappointed.

Only negative is that snake in the eagles shadow and drunken master is cropped, but I have a feeling they will fix that later on.

Michael

8. Matthew Brown

Matthew Brown Supporting Actor

The R1 versions are bad. The Mega Star version even beats the r1!
    The HKL versions are the best versions. I have the three and when I get the time I will compare them all in a review.
    Here is a link you may like.
    http://www.bensonsworld.co.uk/medusa_a.htm
    They are having a sale on some HKL titles.
    Matt

9. andrew markworthy

The HKL versions are excellent, and the chances are that if the version they've put out has any apparent oddities, that's because it's the best version that can be obtained.

Nearly all Hong Kong movies are dubbed, so in a sense it's just as 'correct' to watch one in dubbed English as in a Chinese dialect (to be honest, whether I watch the dubbed or subtitled version of a Hong Kong movie depends upon how tired I'm feeling).

I've only seen OUATIC III, which has good picture and sound quality, and an excellent (as always) commentary by Mr Logan.

10. DavidY

DavidY Supporting Actor

IMO, it would be nice for HKL to put both Cantonese and Mandarin soundtracks on their DVDs. Or at the very least, add Chinese subtitles as an option.

I am unsure why the Cantonese soundtrack are not in HKL's Drunken Master, Snake in Eagles Shadow, and New Dragon Gate Inn. Most of Jackie Chan's movie are in Cantonese, his native language. I believe that this also applies to Brigette Lin and Maggie Cheung (New Dragon Gate Inn).

Dave

11. Jeff Kleist

Jackie didn't dub his own voice in until fairly recently, but the OSL is Cantonese, no matter what, the film was meant to be seen in cantonese

12. Voon Jiet

Voon Jiet Stunt Coordinator

Voon