What's new

Once Upon A Time In America R2-Greece (1 Viewer)

luke cav

Stunt Coordinator
On a little bit of inside news, Once Upon A Time In America, previously only available in Brazil, has now also been released in Greece. Aware that it has been unavailable anywhere since before Cher discovered her plastic surgeon, it is now being offered accross Europe complete with an English cover and an English menu. Available across the net and at your local e-bay soon. Fullscreen and 2.0 for those interested. But don't allow yourself to be ripped off. It is going VERY cheap.

INFO from r2-dvd.org

I sure a few of you are interesting in picking this up.

Hendrik

Supporting Actor
...full-screen, eh?! ... NO SALE ! ! ! (still have my PAL laserdisc set)...
. . . . . .

Malcolm Cleugh

Second Unit
It is on their weekly rumour article. At the end after the attack on rental windows.
http://www.r2-dvd.org/article.jsp?se...articleId=4341
I have not seen this for sale anywhere, although I did see on a UK based forum the comment that the new version is a DVD9 rather than the previous DVD10 flipper and open matte. However this may very very compressed at almost 4 hours if its the longer cut in PAL on a DVD9 is pushing it.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Malcolm
Thanks for the link. I read that same article and must have missed that particular bit about ouatia
:emoji_thumbsup:

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
FWIW, I just received some info from a Dutch import shop, that says it will be available within a week, and they say the dvd has the following specs:

English menus
No region code
English DD 5.1
16:9 anamorphic widescreen
Englsh, Greek & Portugese subtitles
Extras: Biographies, Filmographies, Trailer

I'll believe it when I see it, but I sure hope they're right....

Hendrik

Supporting Actor
...I'll believe it when I see it...
...so will I... believe it when you see it, I mean!
...just consider: so far, the only DVD of OUATIA that I've ever seen mentioned on this or any other Forum, has been the one that's been available since several years in/from Brazil (a country, might I remind you, where Portuguese is the official language)... people who actually bought the disc have reported that
a) it's full-screen (the dreaded pan'n'scan, don't you know?!)
b) it's DD 2.0 plain vanilla Stereo
c) it's a (shudder!) flipper
...so now, all of a sudden, a company in The Netherlands imports a Greek(???) DVD of you-know-what, that is, miraculously, " 16:9 anamorphic widescreen" and, again miraculously, can boast of an "English DD 5.1" soundtrack, and also features, not only " Englsh[sic], Greek & Portugese subtitles" but also "Extras: Biographies, Filmographies, Trailer" (in English, Greek or Portuguese? or all three?)...
...so, forgive me if I seem skeptical...
...when it turns out that all is as claimed by the (unnamed! why? is it a 'secret place'?) " Dutch import shop" I promise to eat a (chocolate) hat...
(signed) Highly Skeptical Passing Pedant
. . . . . .

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
:D Hendrik, of course I'm very skeptical too!
The reasons I didn't post the name of the site, were that
a) they don't have an on-line shop and
b) it's Dutch only
c) their price is.....'Criterion'
But if you want to ask yourself:
Homepage: Link Removed
E-mail: [email protected]

Hendrik

Supporting Actor
...aha!!!... en deze Winkel van Sinkel is in Zwolle - alom bekend als de navel van de (Nederlandse) waereld!...
. . . :D . . .

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
I haven't said I believed it, but aren't there other 'strange' releases:
16:9 Once Upon A Time In The West in Italy
16:9 Short Cuts in Spain
I'm not naive, just optimistic....;)
And even if it's full-screen, it probably is open-matte (as it was originally filmed in 1.85:1).

Hendrik

Supporting Actor
...nothing all that strange about OUATITW appearing on an Italian DVD - it was an Italian/American co-production, after all...
Link Removed
(check the writers, producers, camera crew, production design, sound crew, etc. etc. - very few Amurricans among them, I'd say...)
...also note that the Italian DVD features Italian DD 2.0 and DD 5.1 soundtracks and Italian subtitles only...
http://www.dvd.it/index.cgi?sid=4491...s=Y&arti=21480
...as for Short Cuts: a Spanish company called Lauren Films owns the Spanish distribution rights - so, yes, they might very well be able to release a Spanish DVD...
Link Removed
Link Removed
...the thing that got me about the OUATIA DVD that started this whole thread is that it should come from, of all places, Greece - a country which, as we all know, has produced some of the finest DVDs around... he said, his voice fairly dripping with sarcasm... and that this DVD, with Greek and Portuguese (but, strangely, no Dutch!!!) subtitles should be available from a Dutch shop out in what Americans would call 'the sticks'...
...color me bewildered, puzzled, and very suspicious...
. . . :frowning: . . .

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
the thing that got me about the OUATIA DVD that started this whole thread is that it should come from, of all places, Greece - a country which, as we all know, has produced some of the finest DVD's around
Maybe a smart company found out the rights in Greece weren't owned by Warner, secured the rights, and now releases it 'import-friendly' (explaining the English menus). Of course I'm highly skeptical about the specs too, but nowadays, even bootlegs are released 16:9 enhanced...

Hendrik

Supporting Actor
Le Mystère OUATIA
...still fairly mysterious, if you ask me (...but nobody asked you, you twit!)
...just read, and added my 2¢ to, this thread on the DVDFILE site...
light in the dark ?
. . . :D . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks