Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Neil Middlemiss submitted a new blog post

Once Upon a Deadpool Blu-ray Review
OnceUponADeadpoolCover-1024x576.jpg

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Thanks for the review. This feels strange to release on its own. Although I suppose in theory they want people who saw the PG-13 version to be able to buy it if they wouldn't be allowed to buy the R one, the whole thing feels like it will eventually become a bonus feature on some double dip of Deadpool 2 down the line. I'd be curious to see the new scenes, but not enough to buy this.

Also, I get that it's a re-release anyway, but this is really stretching the limits of the theatrical-to-disc window.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I'm surprised it has such a high price point. $30 MSRP for a barebones disc with a movie that's just an alternate version of an existing release???

Seems like it would've made more sense at $14.99 MSRP - especially because then it's more appealing to the fans who already own the "R"-rated disc...

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
It's currently $15 at W*M and Targheee
Clearly they're having a high MSRP so retailers can claim a HUGE MFing discount to encourage the double dip

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Clearly they're having a high MSRP so retailers can claim a HUGE MFing discount to encourage the double dip

Percentage discount doesn't matter as much to me as the actual price. If it was at a $15 MSRP and then discounted from there (even if the discount wasn't as much), that would still be better than paying $15 since it would be lower than $15.

I haven't seen the PG-13 cut -- and frankly I didn't like the R-rated version much either -- but I want to ask this question: would anyone who has seen both versions actually prefer the PG-13 one? And if so, why? I can understand the curiosity about what they've done to it to secure the lower rating, but in terms of future rewatches once you've seen both, why would the PG-13 version be anyone's first choice?

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Percentage discount doesn't matter as much to me as the actual price. If it was at a $15 MSRP and then discounted from there (even if the discount wasn't as much), that would still be better than paying $15 since it would be lower than $15.

I haven't seen the PG-13 cut -- and frankly I didn't like the R-rated version much either -- but I want to ask this question: would anyone who has seen both versions actually prefer the PG-13 one? And if so, why? I can understand the curiosity about what they've done to it to secure the lower rating, but in terms of future rewatches once you've seen both, why would the PG-13 version be anyone's first choice?

In the grand scheme of things, I think I actually prefer the PG-13 version because it was funnier. Fred Savage was a great casting choice. I don't have a problem with all the things that being R rated lets you get away with, but I liked how this film needled all that stuff. I think you need to have seen Deadpool 2 to have a better grip on the narrative, but this version just felt more likable to me. At least, that's how I feel right now, ask me again when I want to revisit the series ahead of a Deadpool 3.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I think "Once" is a novelty and that's about it. The Savage scenes are fun but they're really just a gimmick - a clever gimmick, but a gimmick nonetheless.

I'll never watch it again - the "R" version is superior in every way...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks