1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Blu-ray Review Once Upon a Deadpool Blu-ray Review

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Neil Middlemiss, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss Producer
    Reviewer

Neil Middlemiss
  2. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Thanks for the review. This feels strange to release on its own. Although I suppose in theory they want people who saw the PG-13 version to be able to buy it if they wouldn't be allowed to buy the R one, the whole thing feels like it will eventually become a bonus feature on some double dip of Deadpool 2 down the line. I'd be curious to see the new scenes, but not enough to buy this.

Also, I get that it's a re-release anyway, but this is really stretching the limits of the theatrical-to-disc window.

Brent Reid likes this.
  3. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Lead Actor

I'm surprised it has such a high price point. $30 MSRP for a barebones disc with a movie that's just an alternate version of an existing release???

Seems like it would've made more sense at $14.99 MSRP - especially because then it's more appealing to the fans who already own the "R"-rated disc...

Detour (1945) likes this.
  4. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie

Stephen J. Hill
    I agree with Colin. What would've been ideal is to release this with a BD case that allowed you to combine both releases.

Detour (1945) likes this.
  5. B-ROLL

B-ROLL Cinematographer

Bryan
    It's currently $15 at W*M and Targheee
    Clearly they're having a high MSRP so retailers can claim a HUGE MFing discount to encourage the double dip

6. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Percentage discount doesn't matter as much to me as the actual price. If it was at a $15 MSRP and then discounted from there (even if the discount wasn't as much), that would still be better than paying $15 since it would be lower than $15.

I haven't seen the PG-13 cut -- and frankly I didn't like the R-rated version much either -- but I want to ask this question: would anyone who has seen both versions actually prefer the PG-13 one? And if so, why? I can understand the curiosity about what they've done to it to secure the lower rating, but in terms of future rewatches once you've seen both, why would the PG-13 version be anyone's first choice?

7. Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss Producer
    Reviewer

Neil Middlemiss
    In the grand scheme of things, I think I actually prefer the PG-13 version because it was funnier. Fred Savage was a great casting choice. I don't have a problem with all the things that being R rated lets you get away with, but I liked how this film needled all that stuff. I think you need to have seen Deadpool 2 to have a better grip on the narrative, but this version just felt more likable to me. At least, that's how I feel right now, ask me again when I want to revisit the series ahead of a Deadpool 3.

Stephen_J_H and Jake Lipson like this.
  8. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie

Stephen J. Hill
    My dream PG-13 Deadpool film is one where the one f-bomb permitted in the film is "stolen" from Deadpool by Hugh Jackman, playing Wolverine, similar to what happens in X-Men First Class, and then DP goes ballistic.

9. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Lead Actor

I think "Once" is a novelty and that's about it. The Savage scenes are fun but they're really just a gimmick - a clever gimmick, but a gimmick nonetheless.

I'll never watch it again - the "R" version is superior in every way...

10. cadavra

cadavra Second Unit

mike schlesinger
    It's Morena, not Monica, Baccarin.