What's new

Once again, how to tell if Good Will Hunting R1 is anamorphic? (1 Viewer)

Christopher Bosley

Stunt Coordinator
Could someone with knowledge please remind me again of the labeling to look for in determining whether the R1 Good Will Hunting disc is anamorphic? I seem to remember that it was never entirely clear but I'm hoping that by now any of the old discs have been cleared out of inventory. Still, would be nice to be reasonably certain at the time of purchase. Cheers.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
no, there is an anamorphic region 1 available. It kinda slipped out. Other than checking the back of the box to see, there is one difference on the front of the package to Good Will Hunting to tell which is anamorphic and which isnt. Both covers are identical, except the nonanamorphic one says under the MIRAMAX COLLECTORS SERIES banner"widescreen", while the new anamorphic one just says "Miramax Collectors Series". SO there are two versions out there. I can vouch for thsi as we have both versions in at work.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
thats the wrong cover for the enhanced widescreen. Just remove the word WIDESCREEN from that cover, and thats what hte anamorphic version looks like

Christopher Bosley

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, not to belabor the point or anything. But I was under the impression that it *wasn't* the Collector Series that had the anamorphic transfer, but rather a later release of the barebones edition (after Miramax abandoned that way cheesy WIDESCREEN logo) that was 16x9 friendly. Of course, it would be best if the CS is the one to get.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
I work at a major retailer. The non allianca collectors version is available anamorphic in the packaging I described. Trust me. I have seen and held this disc many many times.

Clint B

Second Unit
Why don't you just order the Canadian one from Alliance? There is absolutely no debate about that one being anamorphic (I know because I have it). Plus, there is one extra deleted scene on it that isn't available on any of the Miramax versions, anamorphic or not.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I work at a major retailer. The non allianca collectors version is available anamorphic in the packaging I described. Trust me. I have seen and held this disc many many times.
sean?

have you watched it.

i still havent seen anyone post anywhere that they have actually watched it and have seen this to be 16x9.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
I can honestly say I have not watched it. But it does say plain as day on the back of the box WIDESCREEN 1.85, Enhanced for 16x9, while the original version just says on back WIDESCREEN 1.85

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
I can honestly say I have not watched it. But it does say plain as day on the back of the box WIDESCREEN 1.85, Enhanced for 16x9, while the original version just says on back WIDESCREEN 1.85
But it wouldn't be the first time the back of a DVD was mislabeled concerning 16x9-enhancement...

DJ

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
check those other 2 threads i linked.
there is nothing defintive on this yet.
so i would continue to wait or buy the alliance version.

but i have read somewere that claimed the alliance version was a zoomed edition. i wish i could find the link.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
There's a whole bunch of repackaged Disney DVDs that claim "16x9 enhanced" and aren't. Metro, for one.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Hmm, didnt know metro got a repackage. I was about to buy Good Will Hunting today just to confirm, but we only had one copy of the older version in. I will pick this up ASAP just to confirm and if I am wrong publicly apologize for being a schmuck:)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
no reason to apolagize. it's disney who should put the correct label on the dvd.

CameronS

Supporting Actor
I have the "Collector's Edition" R1 version of Good Will Hunting and it is definitely NON-ANAMORPHIC. I'll have to check the back of the case when I get home to see if mine has the anamorphic misprint on it.

The only anamporphic version I know of is the Canadian Alliance version, just as Robert Crawford said. But if they released a third US version that is anamorphic, please let me know. I want it. :)

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Just buy the Canadian version. In addition to the anamorphic transfer, it has an extra deleted scene.

to my knowledge only the Canadian version is anamorphic.. thanks to a better Alliance release, before they got whipped by BV....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks