Onboard sound reliability VS. SB Audigy

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Brian Ruth, Sep 7, 2003.

1. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

I'm mulling over my next computer, and I've pretty much decide on a Shuttle 8x8x12 PC with an All-In-Wonder and a Wi-Fi card taking up the 2 slots. I'm curious to know how the onboard audio stacks up against the SB Audigy I have now.

My biggest concern isn't with sound quality, though, it's with stability. I get CONSTANT lockups with my system now, consisting of a freeze-up and an annoying single-pitch sound. I'm guessing its the fault of the sound card.

It's gotten so bad I'm unable to watch DVDs on my computer (the audio always either stops or de-syncs with the video within minutes) and my games (WarCraft III and CounterStrike, mainly) lock up every 3 game hours or so (quite annoying when you're in the middle of a game). I was curious to hear if anyone's been having great problems with the onboard audio (NVidia?)in the Shuttle PCs.

I'd also like to hear how the sound quality compares, but as long as it's not TERRIBLY inferior to the Audigy, I'll likely stay with it.

Thanks in advance for everyone's input. [​IMG]

2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

when i was researching mb's (ended up with an asus) audio wasn't one of my main concerns because i knew i was gonna get an external card.

however (and it's been a while so don't hold me to it) most of the reviews i read said the onboard was fine for most applications...including gaming.

i suppose your best bet is to simply try it both ways. you can always return the audio card if it doesn't float your boat.

btw - i have the audigy live and it works pretty well. plus it's only about 100 bucks or so. may be worth checking out.

3. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

If you decide you need the audigy, you can get a usb wireless adapter.

4. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

James:

I'd kinda prefer to have the network card inside the computer. Unless there has been a HUGE increase in Audigy driver reliablility, I'll likely pass on it in the system due to the presence of only 1 PCI slot.

5. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

I was just pointing out that it's an option in case you decide that the onboard sound just isn't cutting it. Frankly, ever since I've stopped using creative sound cards I've noticed a lot less crashes than I used to. Say from about 1 per every 2 hours to 1 every couple of months. I think they have some serious driver problems, or something.

6. AllanN

AllanN Supporting Actor

When capturing using my older AIW card with the built in sound on my mother board (Biostar M7MIA). The audio was extremely garbled. I upgraded to the audigy and there was a significant improvement. After an upgrade to the latest drivers it’s even more stable. If you’re serious about doing video capture or editing get a stand alone sound card, dump the wi-fi and just use regular Fast Ethernet. Im assumeing that it comes with onboard Ethernet? What made you decide on the Shuttle?

7. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

The NVIDIA nForce-based motherboards with onboard 5.1 Soundstorm audio are very stable. There were driver problems a year ago, but they fixed that and now it is rock solid. Common issues some people still experience are hisses and crackles when using the analog outputs - usually caused by bad grounding of the audio output or poor anti-EMI circuitry.

I think the Audigy drivers are somewhat stable now...only serious issues I expect would be all the crud that Soundblaster insists on installing on your computer.

He probably wants the shuttle because it is small form factor (8x8x12").