What's new

Onboard Decoding/Upscaling for Receivers (1 Viewer)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
How valuable is this?

I have an HD-A1 that decodes TrueHD for my HD-DVDs (a list that will clearly NOT grow).

The PS3 I am using also decodes audio signals (with the most recent firmware) for dts-MA.

That said, as a paranoid adopter, my intention is to purchase a receiver that also decodes the material, though I imagine that signal sent by the PS3 or HD-A! will have already done the job.

Same question with video. Should I get a receiver to upscale to 1080P (the Pionner, the Onkyo, or the Yamaha...so far) or is the PS3 or HD-A1 upscaling to a comparable degree?

Thanks for the advice,
Chuck

BigSlade

Auditioning
Real Name
Josh
If you want to cover your bases, it might be prudent of you to invest in a receiver that will decode the new advanced audio codecs, however it is not necessary with the players that you currently have. Theoretically it should sound the exact same regardless if the player or the receiver does the decoding, but there are many who will argue that decoding by the receiver is superior. But, you will probably need a pretty good set of speakers to notice any difference. So really the choice is yours depending on your other gear. As far as upscaling in the receiver, this could be a nice feature to have. While your A1 or PS3 might do a better job than your receiver, you could still use the upscaling feature to upscale other non-HD sources.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Thanks, Josh. I hadn't thought about the upscaling of 720p from the HD receiver. I'm pretty HD-disc focused. But it makes sense to cover my bases, since AVR's that do both competently are in my price range.

BigSlade

Auditioning
Real Name
Josh
No problem, it's nice to have an outside opinion at times as sometimes they can see something that you overlooked without even knowing it. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks