onboard 5.1 decoders

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Dan M, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Dan M

Dan M Second Unit

I've been using the decoder in my Onkyo reciever for decoding 5.1 audio but I've read that it's actually better to use the onboard surround decoder within the dvd player to get 'true' 5.1. Can someone explain to me why this is so (if it's true). I really don't want to run all those cables instead of the one coax that I'm currently using to decode downstream.....

anyone care to elaborate?

2. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

One is not necessarily better than the other. I'm sure the decoder in your Onkyo is great and you probably would not hear a difference using the one on your DVD player (receiver decoders tend to be better than DVD player decoders, in general). Whoever told you that the receiver decoder does not give "true" 5.1 does not know anything about 5.1 sound (or, if a salesman, was trying to sell you more sets of expensive cables). The only thing you must use the 5.1 outs on the DVD player for is high resolution audio formats, otherwise the single digital connection is fine, even preferred.

3. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

If you have a 6.1 or 7.1 setup, the internal decoder is definitely better than the external, at least for dts es-discrete titles.

4. Dan M

Dan M Second Unit

thanks guys....sounds like words of wisdom

My Onkyo 989 is a few years old now but I'm quite pleased with its sound and decoding capabilty. I haven't even tried the 7.0 decoding as I really don't have anywhere to mount the speakers behind me in my current setup.