On-wall speaker advice sought

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by EricTownsend, Mar 2, 2005.

1. EricTownsend

EricTownsend Stunt Coordinator

OK, the basement theater is coming together slowly but surely. My room is approx. 33L x 22W x 8H. I am waffling between the Sanyo Z3 and the Panasonic AE700U projectors, but I have some time to choose that. I am trying to figure out the speakers now...

My wife wants me to use on-wall speakers rather than in-wall or floor standing. Any advice for a 7.1 setup and trying to keep below $2000? If need be, I can go with a 5.1 now and add two more later.

I have been looking at the Energy Take FPS, the NHT L5, and even some more standard wall mountable speakers like ones from KEF. Along with the advice, could you provide a link to find these? Finding a place to purchase these less common speakers is a challenge.

Thank you!

Edit: Is there any compelling evidence to go with an in-wall like the Veritas 2.3WM or the Atlantic System 10? Thanks...

2. EricTownsend

I think I would like to go with the Energy Take Series...
    However, I cannot find a retailer.

Now that the new Take series is available, I am interested in a set cosisting of: 2 Take TWR, 3-5 Take FPS, and 1 S12.3 Sub.

Where can I get these? Anyone know of a local store (anywhere) I can call? The dealer locator on the Energy site only shows Good Guys, and a few other retailers that only carry the more generic Energy styles.

Thanks again!

3. EricTownsend

OK, these three posts are mine... I look like I am talking to myself.. Anyway, here is what Energy told me:

And so, I wait!

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Typical on-walls, and even most in-walls, are going to have a really hard time trying to fill a room that size.

5. Eric:F

Eric:F Stunt Coordinator

i have these:
    http://www.salksound.com/htshome.html
    Jim Salk custom built them for my "on wall" plasma set up.
    you could get the front soundstage for about $2k, then add an SVS or HSU sub. fill in with cheap surrounds and upgrade them when you can. you will have a world class system that can handle a lg. room with ease. Jim has a $ back guaranty. you can't go wrong.
    see my review at audioreview.com
    best,
    eric

6. EricTownsend

Hum... Floor standers only then?

EricF, you went with the MTM's?

Thanks!

7. Eric:F

hi EricT,
    yes, i went with the HTS-MTMs in piano black.
    they are beautiful but heavy (40lb./each). after looking at several options, i chose the Parts Express Smarter Speaker Support for the wall mounts. these allow great flexibility in aiming the speakers, are easy to mount, and cost just a few bucks.
    best,
    eric

8. Greg_Hammond

Greg_Hammond Agent

You're talking about a 6000 cubic foot room, which is a lot of space to fill with sound. While on-wall mounted speakers will do a fine job for surround and rear-surround duty in that room, I really think you're going to need floor-standing speakers for the front channel and a decently sized center-channel speaker mounted either on a strong wall-mount bracket, or table-top.

Depending on how much bass you're looking for, you'll also need a decent subwoofer for that 6000 cu ft room.

There certainly -are- some pretty nice wall-mounted options available for center and front-channel speakers, but the ones that work for very large room sizes tend to be very expensive, and are absolutely going to require rock-solid stud-mounting.

I'm using Polk RTi4 bookshelf speakers mounted on-wall for my surround and rear-surrounds, and they do a fairly good job for that role. Not much bass response for the little bookshelfs, but for the purpose I use them - they're fine.

Greg

9. Eric:F

greg,
    the Salk HTS-MTMs can handle the room.
    they are large speakers with twin Vifa 7" midbass drivers and a Arum Canton G2si pure ribbon tweeter in each speaker.
    for that matter, you can order them with a xover customized for free standing.
    i have an SVS PB12-ultra/2 for the low end, but it's overkill in our room. any good sub could fill in the bass using the Salk mains.
    best,
    eric

10. EricTownsend

Thanks for all the advice guys. I did write to Jim Salk and received a very detailed response from him. I must say, I do like his style. I am going to follow through with him on his HTS line of speakers. I will post as progress is made.
    Thanks for the input about on-wall / in-wall speaker use in a large room. It makes sense now.

-EricT