What's new

?? on Video Switching thru Receiver-my best option? (1 Viewer)

Hank_P

Second Unit
I've been following the thread on the new AA HD Switch box, and it may be my solution down the road, but with my new purchase of the Samsung T165.. funds are going to be a little short after purchasing cables.

I have a Sony V444ES, DVD player (non progressive), Xbox and now T165 going to a Toshiba 57H81. I currently have the DVD play and Xbox cabled to HD1 and HD2. The Toshiba manual says that both inputs can accept 1080i. I watch a majority of DVD's, so I wanted to keep it cabled directly to one input. But for my other devices, should I run them through the two component inputs on the receiver, or should I run the Xbox into the component input on the T165 (which states it will only accept 480p).

It is to be arriving at my door this week and I want to make sure I have all the cables needed.

thanks

Calvin S

Agent
I would not try running anything through the component in on the Samsung T165. I had that receiver for about week before taking it back due to disatisfaction. I noticed two problems running my DVD player through the T165 (and these issues were reported by other users as well on the other theater forum). It gave the movie a greenish tint, and the top and bottom 5% of the picture vibrated. So, I don't think it handles component input very well.

In case you are wondering about my dissatisfaction, the main reason was it couldn't pick up the Chicago ABC digital station. Everything suggested I should have been able to, so it might have been defective. However, I had enough other minor issues with the receiver that I just felt it wasn't ready for primetime. I hope you like yours better.

Hank_P

Second Unit
Thanks Calvin, that really does narrow down my choices quite a bit. I will not run the DVD player through it, but might give my Xbox a try to see what it does to the game image.

I'm not sure what the bandwidth is for the component inputs on the V444ES. I searched the manual last night and it only states that they are YPrPb 75 Ohm... does anyone know what the frequency range for this??

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
MY SUGGESTION: Run directly from the T165 to the TV. Run the DVD & XBox through the receiver.

does anyone know what the frequency range for this
The manufacturers dont usually publish their bandwidth unless you get a friendly engineer to look them up.

Generally, a receiver is considered "HD Compatible" if it can take/switch a 35 Mhz signal with no more than a 3 db drop.

Some companies shove higher and higher signals through the unit until they see a 3 db drop, then say the "Bandwidth" for the unit is 40/60/100 Mhz.

Keep in mind these numbers:

Component Video: 4 Mhz max
Progressive Scan Video (480p): 12 Mhz
HD Video (1080i/p): 35 Mhz

So your receiver should be fine for the DVD/XBox (progressive) or the T165. But since the demands for Progressive are less than for HD video, this is why I suggest running the progressive video through the receiver, and feeding the 1080 signal straight to the TV.

You can also buy a external HD video switcher as described in this thread on Inexpensive HD Video Switching. (You are not alone in needing more video switching.)

Try the custom cable houses for new cables. They will save you money over many of the more retail brands.

I might also suggest you lay your equipment out in a more efficent/ergonomic fashion, then measure for your cables. This includes:
  • Receiver/amp on the lowest shelf. This lets the speaker wires flow out without hiding/interfearing with the other cables.
  • Devices that you never touch above the receiver (CATV, DSS, T165)
  • On the upper shelves put the devices you touch to use. This would be your DVD player, XBox, VCR

Then measure for cables.

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks