JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well, I've been running this system half-assed for too long, with just a pair of reflecting speakers in front for minimal Atmos in a 7.1.2 configuration. I've had the capability for a full 7.1.4 system, including enough amplifiers to drive it, for a couple years now. My HT room is even kind of ideal to easily install four in-ceiling speakers for proper Atmos/DTS:X, but I've just been dragging my feet. I don't know why.

In addition, the room has these ancient, godawful surface mounted fluorescent fixtures in it. I mean, they're ugly, old commercial fixtures with broken, yellow lenses. Since they are surface mount, I had the idea of just removing them and putting in some nice, small, low profile 4" recessed, dimmable LED fixtures. Two LED fixtures in place of each fluorescent, and the wiring is mostly already there. I just have to add a little Romex to take one fixture to two. Since I really have to remove the fluorescent fixtures to open the space to put the Atmos speakers where they should be, I kind of have to do both projects at once. I will finally get all my wiring in the walls, instead of a lot of stuff running along the edges of the room. My cluttered HT might actually be presentable, so I can continue to not have anyone else over for movies.

I just thought maybe I'd show the progress of this little project. It's all pretty much worked out in my head. I've planned where to run cables, and I've had a 250' roll of CL2 12ga OFC cable since I originally had the idea, two years ago.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Perhaps because it's a daunting project. I know that's why I dragged my feet for so long. ;)

Congrats John. It will be worth the effort.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
@John Dirk , I've pretty much decided subwoofer upgrade time is coming as well. So, the venerable old SVS PB12/Plus2 will be finding a new home. I've essentially decided it will be a dual, sealed 15, so the next sub won't be SVS. Most likely PowerSound, Rythmik or Seaton.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I'm slowly coming to the same realization. I may demo dual RSL Speedwoofers. You simply can't beat the price and if I don't like them I can send them back. I need to sell off some of my old gear before I make any more purchases so it will likely be awhile.

Any plans for offloading the PB12/Plus2? I would hate for either of our subs to end up in landfills.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I don't know @John Dirk . It's gonna be tough to find anyone who even wants a sub of that size. Everyone wants a TV as big as a house, but invisible (wireless) speakers.

After living with the SVS SB-2000 in the living room for almost a year, I'm really sold on a sealed model.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I don't know @John Dirk . It's gonna be tough to find anyone who even wants a sub of that size. Everyone wants a TV as big as a house, but invisible (wireless) speakers.

After living with the SVS SB-2000 in the living room for almost a year, I'm really sold on a sealed model.
Why sealed over ported, if you don’t mind my asking?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Why sealed over ported, if you don’t mind my asking?
Ports always have the potential for port noise and a little sloppiness when they're driven to the extreme. I understand that's a lot better these days with better subwoofers, and the servos in the Rythmiks should theoretically pretty much eliminate it, but with sealed subs, it should be physically impossible. My old SVS PB12/Plus2, as good as it is, does lose control at times. The other day the SVS SB-2000 in the living room was really pushed to its limit like I hadn't heard before. While I could tell it was hitting its limit, it never got sloppy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks